i need your help please ms is it possible.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

i need your help please ms is it possible.

Postby cw032759 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:17 am

Hello,
I am a new member that needs help from you all. I do not understand ms, nor do I know what to do. My daughter is at mayo clinic in rochester and they have diagnosed her with fibromyalgia, buttttt she has slurred speech and she tells me her mind slows during flares, her physcian thinks she has ms but she has had a emg and mri that is neg nor is there lesions. I guess my quesion is, can you have ms and a neg emg and mri? and how do I help her, she is not yet aware of what her phsycian thinks but she does have a eye exam on thursday, i am looking to find out what to expect in the next 4 days and i think you all already know. thanks for all your help :(
cw032759

Advertisement

Re: i need your help please ms is it possible.

Postby scorpion » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:20 am

cw032759 wrote:Hello,
I am a new member that needs help from you all. I do not understand ms, nor do I know what to do. My daughter is at mayo clinic in rochester and they have diagnosed her with fibromyalgia, buttttt she has slurred speech and she tells me her mind slows during flares, her physcian thinks she has ms but she has had a emg and mri that is neg nor is there lesions. I guess my quesion is, can you have ms and a neg emg and mri? and how do I help her, she is not yet aware of what her phsycian thinks but she does have a eye exam on thursday, i am looking to find out what to expect in the next 4 days and i think you all already know. thanks for all your help :(

First take a deep breath and relax. It sounds to me like your daughter is on the right path to finding out what is going on that is making her feel unwell.
1. Yes you can have MS with a negative emg(not very specific in identifying MS) and a negative MRI. However from what I remember reading only 5 % of people with MS will have a negative MRI. Was contrast used when she had her MRI? Please read this explanation about a negative MRI. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-S ... how/471761

2.Please have her see a neurologist if she has not already.

3. IF she does have MS it is not a death sentence. In fact most people with MS have life expectancies almost as long as the general population.

4. IF she does have MS you might want to check out the MS Society website for more information regarding the disease. I think there site does a great job of dispelling a lot of myths associate with MS.

Please keep us posted! Honestly from what you posted I do not see why the doctor believes she has MS(although I am not a doctor) but I guess it is good he/she is looking into it!
scorpion
Family Elder

Postby cw032759 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:41 pm

thank you very much i think she is on the path of a long long road.

I appreciate the reply.
cw032759

Return to General Discussion