How do I see a doctor sooner?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

How do I see a doctor sooner?

Postby asmitty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi,

I'm a 26 year old student dx'ed with MS for two years now; first time on this board... I'm switching to a neurologist closer to where i live. I have to wait two months for an appointment. My previous doctor is out of town, and even when he comes back I don't know what the wait will be; they are unhelpful...part of the reason I'm looking for a new doctor. The problem is I'm having a flare up now. The doctor's(out of town) receptionist said to go to the ER. Of course they are not equipped to handle MS either. Whats the quickest way to get some treatment? Thanks alot everyone.
asmitty

Advertisement

Postby Lyon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby asmitty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:49 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I don't have a general practicioner though, just an individual PPO through blue cross and my student health insurance. All Student health could do was give me an MRI referral. I feel like everyone's giving me the cold shoulder. Other thoughts? thanks
asmitty

Postby patientx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Asmitty:

Maybe explaining to the student health service that you've already been diagnosed with MS, that you're in the middle of a flare, that you need to see a neurologist, and that an MRI alone won't help, will light a fire under them.

If you've already picked out the neurologist that you're going to switch to, call the office, and explain to them that you're in the middle of a flare - hopefully they would be able to squeeze you in. In the meantime, ask them to let you know if they have any cancellations (or if they won't do this, keep calling them). When I was first experiencing symptoms of MS, this is how I got in to see a neurologist quickly when he had a 2 month wait. I know this is a pain when, especially when you're dealing with MS, but sometimes the squeaky wheel....

Of course, if the symptoms of your flare-up are bad, then the ER may be a consideration, if, for nothing else, to rule out another cause.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby asmitty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Ok. I'll try that on Monday. Thanks for your responses.
asmitty

Postby lyndacarol » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:49 pm

I agree with Lyon's suggestion – try to work through a GP or internist.

This has been my own experience: I was in the middle of a flareup; in tears, I called my neurologist's office and was told he could see me in two months. I saw my internist who said that I shouldn't have to wait that long. My internist recommended another neurologist who saw me within days!

The first step would be, in my opinion, to find a compassionate GP or internist. Ask at the student health service, ask your friends and neighbors. Do you have an advisor in your department of study – ask him. Ask your priest or minister; ask everybody you know for the name of a good, compassionate GP.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion