Are you sure you have MS?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby Daisy3 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:07 am

That's the plan Lyndacrol..as soon as that book arrives from the states, were gonna start the diet. Were doing the CCSVI thing too, I am hoping to do the diet for a few months first and then do the op. Let's see how it goes.
Have you ever taken metformin btw? Just been reading that other post by Leonard..

lyndacarol wrote:Daisy3 – I discovered that in the hour after I ate a meal heavy with carbohydrates, I was "dizzy" and weak. I was disoriented and just generally felt unwell. After lying down for about an hour after a meal, I felt better again – back to normal. This coincides with the initial release of insulin upon eating; a second release occurs when the food hits the intestines/bloodstream and the amount of glucose in the portal vein determines the amount of insulin needed.

I am also trying to incorporate much of Dr. Terry Wahls's program into my diet. I think the key to her regimen lies in eliminating sugar completely and also any carbohydrates that convert readily to glucose in the body.

All my life I have eaten entirely too much insulin-producing food – sweetened breakfast cereal, white bread in every sandwich, far too many cookies and candies, white potatoes, etc. Now, I avoid all that, as well as totally avoiding any sugar alcohol such as sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol, etc. – any artificial sweetener. I feel much better with this new diet.

I also believe my constant sinus drainage (mucus) since age 6 has also triggered insulin secretion.

I think fats are important to have in the diet. I have recently added whole fat milk because of a Harvard University study on trans-palmitoleate. Avocados are very good – I even read once that avocados reduce insulin secretion (I have been unable to track down the research source of that statement.); even though coconut oil has had a bad rap because it is mostly saturated fat, it is a medium chain molecule and is really good for you.

Try the Wahls's diet for three months – it can't hurt your husband. I had never eaten kale in my life and now actually like it!
Daisy3
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby lyndacarol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:56 am

Daisy – To your question, I have never taken metformin. My glucose level has never been elevated, I have never been diagnosed as diabetic; therefore, I have never needed diabetic medication.

However, my insulin levels always test "elevated." There is no medication for that condition.

I am glad to hear that you have ordered Dr. Wahls's book, Minding My Mitochondria. If you can help your husband follow the diet faithfully, I think he will see MUCH improvement. I am not entirely convinced that her target of the mitochondria is the real culprit in MS, I still believe excess insulin is the root of our symptoms; whether one or the other causes our problems, the diet (which affects the insulin level in my opinion and the mitochondria in her opinion) has an impact. Good luck.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby Daisy3 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:07 am

I have ordered an allergy test kit too. If he is found to be allergic to milk/gluten etc he might staty on the diet. Otherwise it could be a struggle.
I am very tempted to make him take metformin and see what happens. I did read somwhere that metformin can cause relapses. Have you heard that LC?
Daisy3
Family Elder

Postby lyndacarol » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Daisy – I have not heard of the possibility of metformin causing relapses in MS. There may be a connection, or there may not be a connection – I simply have no information on that topic.

In my opinion, the healthy diet (with dark green leafy vegetables, especially kale and other cruciferous vegetables) as Dr. Wahls recommends may be more beneficial than a pharmaceutical – more secondary benefits, fewer negative side effects.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby growing2boys » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:45 am

Thank you all again for the replies & sharing your stories.

Dear Lyndacarol, over the last year+ I have cut out dairy, red meat, white sugar & white flour. I try to eat as many gluten free products as possible & raw food. I take Omega3, Vit D & B complex + dietary enzymes. I have a soft spot for bread & pasta, so cutting carbs is hard for me. I am 5'6" & 115 pound. I am in so much pain that I usually can't eat (fight or flight body response- pain erases appetite) so when I do eat I have to make sure I am getting some fat/calories. There are days when I just forget to eat meals. All I can think about is the pain. Some days it's hard to go on.
I haven't noticed any improvement with the modification of my diet.

Thank you again everyone.
growing2boys
Family Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion