Recovery after General Anesthesia

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Wendigo
Family Elder

Recovery after General Anesthesia

Post by Wendigo »

I had EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) and screening colonoscopy last Wednesday under general anesthesia. I'm glad all is normal but as days pass and I still feel knocked down I'm beginning to wonder if this is common in MS patients or whether to call my neurologist. I don't think there are brand new symptoms but all of my old ones are worse. The trauma of both end roto-rootering has finally worn off and so now the MS symptoms are really something to overcome. I know recovery varies for each person.

I read where there is a higher risk of exacerbation in MS patients with general anesthesia and put off these procedures a long time for that reason.

Has anyone had a similar recovery experience that just took time?
Wendigo
Family Elder

Post by Wendigo »

I forgot to mention it was not just general anesthesia. When I woke up from the procedures I got 4 mg of morphine for pain. I broke out in hives from the morphine and got 25 mg of Benadryl for the allergic reaction. Another post on this board suggests histamine is beneficial. I think I may have gotten the perfect recipe for knocking down somebody with MS.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I react so badly to GA's. If you ever have to have a procedure again ask them for propofol, I have no reaction from that at all x
Bubba
Family Elder

Re: Recovery after General Anesthesia

Post by Bubba »

Wendigo wrote: I read where there is a higher risk of exacerbation in MS patients with general anesthesia and put off these procedures a long time for that reason.
I have read the same thing. However, being a veteran in the number of surgeries.......Argh.... I havent had any problems? I think it wouldnt hurt to give your neuro a call though.
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
Wendigo
Family Elder

Post by Wendigo »

LR1234 wrote:I react so badly to GA's. If you ever have to have a procedure again ask them for propofol, I have no reaction from that at all x
I guess everyone reacts differently - I did get propofol. I had never had morphine before and broke out in hives Morphine was the last drug in the same IV used as the propofol so it was assumed it was morphine allergy. Glad I was in a hospital setting when it happened.
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

BTW..... I have extreme morphine allergy as well.
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
Wendigo
Family Elder

Re: Recovery after General Anesthesia

Post by Wendigo »

[/quote]

I have read the same thing. However, being a veteran in the number of surgeries.......Argh.... I havent had any problems? I think it wouldnt hurt to give your neuro a call though.[/quote]

I called the neuro yesterday late and left a message with his nurse about what had happened; no return call. It'll be a week tomorrow. I am no worse today and I think slightly better. Last night I thought the keys on my keyboard weren't working right because they were so hard to push down, then noticed it was just my left hand keys so it was only that my fingers were too weak to push them down. It was scary how long it took to figure out it was me, not the keyboard.

You for sure had incisions to deal with and heal from on top of MS. I had no surgery, just the general anesthesia, morphine & Benadryl.
Filmmaker
Family Elder

Post by Filmmaker »

Well, your neuro will not tell you that because he probably doesn't even know it, but what aenesthesia does, is provoke massive affluence of mast cells, those cells are protective, they numb pain, but they also are responsible for the numbness (and nerve issues) we have in MS as well as demyelination... (check mast cells and demyelination on google).. So, no wonder why aenesthesia provokes more MS symptoms, even though, again those mast cells are there to signal infection or injury so they are part of our immune system...
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

they may have given you gas as well as propofol. I am only ok with propofol only no gas

Return to “General Discussion”