@@ MS PAIN. What do you use for Pain?@@

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
T19
Getting to Know You...

@@ MS PAIN. What do you use for Pain?@@

Post by T19 »

Hello,

What does everyone here use for MS Pain...

Also does anyone use anything narcotic or just OTC meds and or the common MS drugs for pain ( Baclofen, Neurontin? etc)

Thanks for the input
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

25mg Amitriptyline at night. I take it about 3 hours before bed, but I still find I am a bit groggy in the morning.
It helps, bigtime. I had insomnia for over a decade due to MS pain. I wish I'd taken it sooner.
I find I really can't drink on it at all. Maybe one small glass of wine, otherwise you are totally wiped out the next day, so that is one thing to bear in mind.
It got rid of the severe migraines I was having so that was another plus.

Occasionally I also have to take paracetamol as well for other types of pain.

I've also heard of Valproic acid, Elavil, etc being used.

What kind of pain do you have?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
T19
Getting to Know You...

Post by T19 »

Thank you for your input
My pain is more nerve/bone pain and I have tried the vitamen regiment but it only did a temp relief
I am on Vit D because mine drops below 7 all the time and when it's up I do feel better but my pain is mostly nerve pain and deep bone pain.
I have Lortab for bad pain which I don't use much and they just started me on Nortriptyline at night. Helps with headaches for sure. I was having alot of them but I'm so wiped out on that drug that I had to up the Adderall I take for fatigue...UGH. Sometimes you can't win for losing.
I appreciate your input..
Any advice?

I have had MS for 3 years. Failed on shots. Went on Tysabri and just tested posted for JC Virus after a year on Tysabri
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi again T19,
Nortriptyline is from a similar drug family as the Amitriptyline I'm on but it's supposed to have fewer side effects. If it were me I'd be tempted to give it about 3 months to see if the nortriptyline side-effects even out a bit - I found I was very sedated on Amitriptyline at first but it did ease a bit over time and my 2 mugs of coffee over breakfast each day do help too! Maybe it will lessen a bit too for you. Do you work full-time?

I just realised I mentioned Elavil - it is actually amitriptyline, just the product name! I meant to say Lyrica. I am considering changing to Lyrica in a month or so but I think it's sedating too. :roll:

Sorry to hear about your Tysabri outcome. Does that mean you definitely can't continue?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
SaintLouis
Family Elder

Post by SaintLouis »

Amitryptaline/Elavil works great for nerve pain. I had a run of widespread nerve pain for a few months so I started on a very low dose of Elavil and it worked wonders.

At first I was told to take it at night but even taking 1/4 of a 25 mg pill at night left me dopey in the a.m. So I backed it up into early evening. It doesn't take much for me to start to see results after about 2 or so days, but I always tend to react strogly to meds. I never needed more than 1/2 a pill. Eventually I stopped taking it and my nerve pain had greatly subsided so I don't take it anymore. But do keep it handy in case I ever need it again. Nerve pain is bizarre how it comes out of nowhere then disappears.
T19
Getting to Know You...

Thanks for your help.

Post by T19 »

Hello. Oh thanks so much for all your input to the both of you.

Yes I work fulltime, as a Nurse but I do not know much about MS..on purpose. I just try to take it as it comes because it's been so overwhelming. I will occasionally scale back on my hours some when I'm in a spell of sorts which I think I'm in now.

I will give this med a shot awhile longer to see how it goes. I did try Ultram and Toradol but they both made me sick.

I so agree the nerve pain comes and goes but I also have been given a small dose of Celexa which helps as well for that.

I always and I mean always have that deep bone pain. Also when I first wake up from sleeping I can barely move but I'm sure most with MS can relate to that.

I really appreciate this input from both of you. So kind of you to take the time to respond to me

As for Tysabri I see the Neuro on the 23rd and will know more then but looks like for now I'm off and may have to go back on shots which make me si sick so I'm praying maybe I can just be off MS meds all together for awhile.

More in a bit. Thank you so much
:wink:
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

No problem T19, that's what we are here for. :wink:
Yes I work fulltime, as a Nurse but I do not know much about MS..on purpose.
I always think it must be particularly upsetting for nurses and doctors who get MS - you only see those with MS in crisis, not us folks that plod along for years. And all those textbooks that do little to cover real life, only definitions and terms (I used to work as a medical librarian!).

Bad luck on the Tysabri issue. Have you tried Copaxone? I too was deemed an 'interferon failure' but I have done exceptionally well on Copaxone for the last 6 years. Making choices about MS meds is so hard because you just never know in advance how you are going to respond.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Marijuana
Bender
Family Elder

Post by Bender »

Seconded.