Meds and Influenza

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Meds and Influenza

Postby mrbarlow » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:06 am

I have just gone down with flu. What do people normally do in this situation - continue with the meds or skip a few doses?

I dont think I can cope with Rebif sides on top of everything else.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby LR1234 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:07 am

I am so sorry you have got the flu...I hope you feel better soon.
I have found LDN helps me ward off illness plus taking Vit C and zinc, I don't know about the DMD's as I have never taken them x
LR1234
Family Elder

Postby mrbarlow » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks

Interferon is anti viral so should theoretically quicken the demise of the virus.

Oh well best go and prep that injection :?
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Re: Meds and Influenza

Postby andreagwolford » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:33 am

take flu shots. It can relieve your flu-like symptoms.
andreagwolford

Postby CureOrBust » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:15 am

I do not think flu shots will assist you. They are a vaccine, which should only help your defences from catching the flu.

A flu is a major trigger for a relapse for me. I spoke with my doctor, and he said that the split between bacterial and viral would be around 10-90 (ie 90% chance its viral). Antibacterials then would not be of much use in 90% of cases.

I now take Amantadine at the very hint of a sniffly nose as almost a profalactic, or if someone with a flu looks at me wrong; or sneeze near me in the train. If I am fairly sure I have caught something, I will start a 7 day course of Tamiflu. This REALLY reduces the flu if I catch it early enough. Anti-Virals do not actually kill the virus, but try to stop them replicating out of control. Tamiflu is a wonder drug for me. Cut back the flu & I cut back the severity of the relapse. Also, because I get over the flu quicker, its safer to start on the steroids which would of let the virus really run wild.

So the long and the short of it. If you can catch it early, Tamiflu is brilliant. Amantadine is cheaper, but I do not think as effective. Reading on Wiki, it implies they both should be ineffective, but that's not what I have found.

I actually got a flu while on rebif, and had my worst relapse ever, while on rebif. I did not see the anti-viral effects of rebif, unless this was one of the 10 out of 100 cases of a bacterial infection.
Hope u get better soon.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby civickiller » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:39 am

arent interferon shots immuno suppressants making it easier to get sick?
civickiller
Family Elder

Postby Scott1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi,

Interferon is a signalling agent to wake up the immune system. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferon .

The steroid based treatment are suppressants which is probably what you were given the first time you ever were treated. Interferon is not a suppressant.

When you get the flu the ache you feel all over is natural interferon signalling the immune system.

Regards
Scott1
Family Elder

Postby andreagwolford » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:16 am

Actually, i know few cases in which flue shots helped ease out those flu-like symptoms so suggested it here as well.
andreagwolford

Return to General Discussion