MS and dignity

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

MS and dignity

Post by bromley »

MS can rob one of dignity (bladder / bowel problems etc). So to add to our sorry state, someone has developed the cooling vest. Would you wear it? Really?

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j398459118&w=464753
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

I'm with you! Good grief. Sounds like the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well. Think up something to sell the MS population! They'll have to buy...Did you see the goofy cooling hat as well as the vest! No, there is no dignity there.

Studies have shown that decreasing your body temp by as little as a half a degree is enough to make the difference. For those of us impacted by heat, a big chug-a-lug of ice cold water every little bit when working out helps. You can take a water bottle and fill it halfway the night before you go to the gym. Put it in the freezer and the next day fill it the rest of the way with water. Drink as you work. This ice cold water INSIDE your body lowers your core temp pretty well. Plus water is really good of exercising and esp for MS people (neurotransmission is improved) Bet we won't see the study where they compare the person with the goony vest to the person drinking icy water...
Marie
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Come on this one is my favorite I think there might be room for BEER :wink: I showed it to hubby he said no way. Actually if he hadn't improved this summer the neighbours were going to put a mister like they have at Wonderland and such down at the Cabaña. It would have run straight off lake water so no real cost .Those things are excellent and you can pretty much stay cool. Everyone enjoys them :lol:

http://www.msaa.com/programs/coolingcatalog.html

Product: Jenkins Active Vest
Description: Features a 10-quart cooler with an easy-carry handle, 5-foot-long insulated cool water lines, easy disconnect couplings, water temperature control knob, and standard on/off switch (optional timer). High flow water lines and bladder system provide increased cooling. AC power adapter.
Available Colors: Blue or Khaki
Available Sizes: M, L, XL
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MS and dignity

Post by NHE »

mrhodes40 wrote:I'm with you! Good grief. Sounds like the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well. Think up something to sell the MS population! They'll have to buy...Did you see the goofy cooling hat as well as the vest! No, there is no dignity there.
Agreed, but I think that their end results are what's really important.
MS patients in the study exercised for nearly an hour wearing the cooling vest, but only a half-hour without it.
That is, the important thing is to stay cool! On hot days, I like to go for walks at night and try to stay out of the sun during the day (I supplement with cod liver oil to get my vitamin D).

NHE
Melody
Family Elder

Just eating right will also cool your system

Post by Melody »

The better you eat and the more your system is in balance the better you will be at keeping your system from overheating. Your system will work best with all the nutrients it needs intact.

Under the leadership of Stephen A. Levine, PhD, Allergy Research Group pioneered hypoallergenic, broad-spectrum, mixed antioxidant formulations. Though essential for higher beings, oxygen has the potential for metabolic toxicity. Antioxidant nutrients are utilized, in conjunction with antioxidant enzymes, to help quench oxygen free radical generation. Acting to impede free radical damage to cells and tissues, the body's antioxidant defense system amounts to a metabolic cooling and lubrication system. The antioxidant nutrients are the body's natural antitoxins, are crucial to homeostasis, and have regulatory roles in a diversity of tissue functions. A variety of stressful environmental, genetic, and behavioral factors have been linked to increased free radical production in the tissues. Good dietary habits help conserve the body's antioxidant stores, but under the conditions of modern living it can be good "nutritional insurance" to supplement the diet with natural antioxidants.
Vitamin E is the body's premier fat-soluble antioxidant, complementing vitamin C which is the premier water-soluble antioxidant. Vitamin E is the major protective antioxidant for cell membranes, the dynamic matrices on and in which most of the body's metabolic business is transacted and most of the cell's free radical load is generated. Similarly, vitamin E provides important antioxidant protection for the serum lipoproteins, which are the transport vehicles for triglycerides, fatty acids, cholesterol and other lipids to the tissues by way of the blood. Vitamin E also is crucial to tissue homeostasis by way of its involvement in the normal regulation of prostaglandin balance. Vitamin E can become depleted from the muscles during exercise.
<shortened url>

Keep in mind just drinking plenty of water will regulate temperature as wello as eating right. :wink:
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.

Return to “General Discussion”