Symptom or Relapse?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Symptom or Relapse?

Postby Toby93 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Hello all, I have been reading posts on this site for a few months now, but have a question. I am in the CIS diagnosis stage and have been doing a lot of reading on MS. Can anyone tell me what the difference between a symptom and a relapse is (if there is a difference). Thank you
Toby93

Advertisement

Re: Symptom or Relapse?

Postby NHE » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:14 am

Hi Toby,

Toby93 wrote:Hello all, I have been reading posts on this site for a few months now, but have a question. I am in the CIS diagnosis stage and have been doing a lot of reading on MS. Can anyone tell me what the difference between a symptom and a relapse is (if there is a difference). Thank you

Welcome to ThisIsMS. This question has been discussed many times here. I'll attempt to answer it the best I can from memory. An MS symptom is an on-going problem. For example, foot drop, cognitive fog, neuropathic pain, etc. Sometimes symptoms come and go. For example, I've had neuropathic pain in my right foot since I was diagnosed in 1999. However, it varies in severity, e.g., sometimes it's not so bad while at other times it's really annoying and grabs my full attention. In contrast, a relapse is a sudden onset of new symptoms that usually sticks around at least a few days to a month or more. These usually include new symptoms or dramatic worsening of old ones that last for a period of time. Some examples would be waking up one morning to find the room spinning, or developing a sudden onset of optic neuritis, or just about anything really. The CNS is how we interact with our bodies and a relapse could mess up just about anything. Lastly, you may wish to take a look at the graph of the different MS types that I've posted. Relapses are the spikes in impairment. Persistent symptoms are when the spikes don't return back to baseline.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion