Poisonous Plants

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Poisonous Plants

Postby Minai » Mon May 09, 2011 10:27 am

Just learned that one of my former high school classmates was diagnosed with MS. Am now wondering if there could be any connections to exposure to poisonous plants or dangerous chemicals used in imported floral design. This is because:

1) His mother owned a floral shop. In fact, I paid her to do my wedding flowers years ago.

2) I would think that more females (on the average) than males, are exposed.

3) Is this what happens/happened in MS clusters? Such as the Faroes?

NHE?

--Minai :idea:
User avatar
Minai
Family Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Advertisement

Postby Bubba » Tue May 10, 2011 11:55 pm

let me throw a wrench in the sprokets here... I can handle poison plants with NO side efffects from them, I assumed it had something to do with MS?
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
User avatar
Bubba
Family Elder
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: Turkey Creek, Florida

Re: Poisonous Plants

Postby NHE » Wed May 11, 2011 3:51 am

Minai wrote:Just learned that one of my former high school classmates was diagnosed with MS. Am now wondering if there could be any connections to exposure to poisonous plants or dangerous chemicals used in imported floral design. This is because:

1) His mother owned a floral shop. In fact, I paid her to do my wedding flowers years ago.

2) I would think that more females (on the average) than males, are exposed.

3) Is this what happens/happened in MS clusters? Such as the Faroes?

NHE?

--Minai :idea:


Hi Minai,
It's good to see you back on the forums. I'm not sure what to say about your poisonous plants theory. However, I've often thought that my exposure to organic solvents on a near daily basis in my prior career may have played a role. For the first year or two I didn't wear gloves. I know that they certainly affect brain function. When I was in college, I found that it was near impossible to do my calculus homework after working with the stuff so I finally started wearing a respirator. The solvents dissolve oils and fats which is what all of our cell membranes, including myelin, is composed of.


NHE
User avatar
NHE
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:00 pm

Postby Minai » Thu May 12, 2011 9:38 am

Bubba wrote:let me throw a wrench in the sprokets here... I can handle poison plants with NO side efffects from them, I assumed it had something to do with MS?


Bubba: Thanks for your input! Am probably focusing more on biology (my major) than I am on biochemistry...

--Minai :?
User avatar
Minai
Family Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Re: Poisonous Plants

Postby Minai » Thu May 12, 2011 10:58 am

NHE wrote:Hi Minai,
It's good to see you back on the forums. I'm not sure what to say about your poisonous plants theory. However, I've often thought that my exposure to organic solvents on a near daily basis in my prior career may have played a role. For the first year or two I didn't wear gloves. I know that they certainly affect brain function. When I was in college, I found that it was near impossible to do my calculus homework after working with the stuff so I finally started wearing a respirator. The solvents dissolve oils and fats which is what all of our cell membranes, including myelin, is composed of.


NHE



Hey NHE:

I knew I could count on you for a professional response! Thank you!

Which organic solvents? Will ask a friend who has a PhD in BioChem about them.

A year or two before before diagnosis. I had a gift of a dozen roses sitting on my kitchen table. The girls and I's cat kept getting up there and nibbling on them. In the morning I found her, body still warm, dead on the floor. :(

One of my daughters had a doctors appt. Her doctor said it was probably chemicals from the flowers.

Maybe we with MS, have inadvertently been exposed to such solvents?

--Minai :?:
User avatar
Minai
Family Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:00 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SARABAND


Contact us | Terms of Service