Potential impact of cinnamon on Multiple Sclerosis studied

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

Potential impact of cinnamon on Multiple Sclerosis studied

Post by MSUK »

A neurological scientist at Rush University Medical Center has received a grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to evaluate whether cinnamon, a common food spice and flavoring material, may stop the destructive process of multiple sclerosis (MS).

The two-year, $750,000 NIH grant will fund research that will analyze the effects of cinnamon on the disease process in mice.

"Since medieval times, physicians have used cinnamon to treat a variety of disorders including arthritis, coughing and sore throats," said Kalipada Pahan, PhD., who is the Floyd A. Davis professor of neurology at Rush and principal investigator of the study. "Our initial findings in mice indicate that cinnamon may also help those suffering from MS." ... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... pageid/684
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Potential impact of cinnamon on Multiple Sclerosis studi

Post by NHE »

squiffy2 wrote:Image

A neurological scientist at Rush University Medical Center has received a grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to evaluate whether cinnamon, a common food spice and flavoring material, may stop the destructive process of multiple sclerosis (MS).

The two-year, $750,000 NIH grant will fund research that will analyze the effects of cinnamon on the disease process in mice.

"Since medieval times, physicians have used cinnamon to treat a variety of disorders including arthritis, coughing and sore throats," said Kalipada Pahan, PhD., who is the Floyd A. Davis professor of neurology at Rush and principal investigator of the study. "Our initial findings in mice indicate that cinnamon may also help those suffering from MS." ... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... pageid/684
Here are the published articles I was able to find from Kalipada Pahan...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term ... 20cinnamon

I'm not sure what to think of the sodium benzoate link that he proposes just yet. I will have to read the papers.

NHE
Kate925
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kate925 »

Thanks for posting. He recommends Ceylon cinnamon (cinnamonum verum) rather than cassia cinnamon.

I'm going to start supplementing with Ceylon cinnamon, 3 grams per day. It might not help, but I don't think it can hurt.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Potential impact of cinnamon on Multiple Sclerosis stud

Post by NHE »

Kate925 wrote:Thanks for posting. He recommends Ceylon cinnamon (cinnamonum verum) rather than cassia cinnamon.

I'm going to start supplementing with Ceylon cinnamon, 3 grams per day. It might not help, but I don't think it can hurt.
Yes, if you're going to consume these quantities, then Ceylon cinnamon is the way to go. Cassia cinnamon contains coumarin which can be hard on the liver, the recommended daily dosage is around 0.5-1.0 teaspoons (2.5-5.0 mL) per day. Ceylon cinnamon does not contain coumarin.

I also read through one of Kalipada Pahan's papers last night and skimmed through the other one. Neither are really about cinnamon. They explore the usage of sodium benzoate in treating EAE and also in in vitro cellular assays. The link to cinnamon is by inference only as the papers state that sodium benzoate is a metabolite of cinnamon.

NHE
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Doesn't cinnamon help moderate blood glucose levels? It might help with nutrient intake to injured or nutrient deprived brain cells.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

As I recall, cinnamon improves the cells' sensitivity to insulin; thereby allowing insulin to open the cells more effectively to glucose.
Frank
Family Elder

Post by Frank »

I recently got interested in supplementing cinnamon to my diet.
I came across the article about the MS research grant, given to Rush University. Granted in 2011 for 2 years.
Does anyone have information about how things are going with their research? Has anything been published yet?

Thanks
--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

So what ever happened with this idea?
kengriff
Family Member

Post by kengriff »

Researchers are not positive what triggers the illness. The foremost common theories purpose to a virulent disease or congenital disease , or a mixture of each. Geographical studies indicate there is the association with environmental issues.