reducing frequency of copaxone shots - starting today

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Absentee
Family Member

reducing frequency of copaxone shots - starting today

Post by Absentee »

I thought this was interesting. Today I had a neurologist appt. Had an MRI on Saturday. So we were to go over that. There was no change in the MRI (brain, spine, upper cervical) - good! 3rd or 4th straight with no changes.

I brought up some lipotrophy on my arm and leg - I've been on Copax for 3 yrs or so. He looked at it and confirmed that what I was seeing. Then he said that since I am "stable" and seeing some reactions like this, we should switch to 3 shots a week (form once daily). Don't have to tell me twice. We'll see how it goes!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

good luck!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
carolsue
Family Elder

Post by carolsue »

I think it's interesting too. Hope it works out for you! I have been on Rebif for 7 years, never missed a dose despite injections that can be rather painful. I am very stable with no changes in my MRIs and am symptom free. Well, a couple weeks ago, I got tired of the painful shots and I have decided on my own to decrease the frequency of my shots. I'm doing 3 shots in 8, sometimes 9, days instead of 3 shots in 7 days. I haven't told my neurologist but will the next time I have a check up. I figure the 3x a week recommendation can't be that precise, and maybe they wrote the schedule that way because it's easier to follow than a once-every-third-day prescription. Anyway, I'm willing to risk the slightly lower dosing for a little less dread in my week.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I have recently started on copaxone (2 months yesterday)
I have not noticed any improvements or positives yet but I didn't really expect too.
I am hoping to go down to one every other day once I get to the 9-12 month mark.
I am so tiny 47kg and I think copaxone everyday at 20g is too strong for me but will stick with it until dr thinks its ok to change to alternate days.

Let us know how it goes for sure

L
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

I had been on Copaxone 5yrs. then was no longer able to tolerate it. My neuro. prescribed Betaseron. The nurse told me I could not inject in the usual locations anymore due to lipoatrophy. She found one spot that still had some subcutaneous fat. I could not get past the initial dose so I gave up. Now I'm DMD free for the past 3 wonderful years. I still have ms symptoms but no more side effects from DMDs Best wishes to everyone ,
God bless!!
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

I'll keep you all posted for sure. Right now I am just trying to figure out what the shot map looks like for 3x weekly. Certainly Teva won't be happy - a former 3.9 week supply will now be a 10 week supply!
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Absentee,

It's your decision if you want to continue on the DMD as prescribed, or cut back, not Tevas'. We all have to do what is right for our own bodies. You will know what is right for you. I hope the best for you.
hannakat
Family Elder

Post by hannakat »

Yea, Teva won't be happy ... ahhhh too bad! My neuro also agrees with fewing doses after a period of time and feels there should be studies to done to support this. In the meantime, he has no problem with cutting back.

Since I'm so far into the MS journey, at this point, I did completely stop using it. If there are no flares, just a steady down hill trend, why bother? Shared Solutions still sends me mail...they miss me. :twisted: