Future prognosis of MS, can it be predicted?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Vikingquest
Family Member

Future prognosis of MS, can it be predicted?

Post by Vikingquest »

I was wondering if anyone could clarify whether there is any truth to the following theory:

If a person's MS symptoms have progressed at a slow rate in the first few years, does that bode well for a more benign future with the disease if you have it?

The reason I ask is that I thought that those who had a sudden agressive onset of RRMS MS symptoms, like those who wake up one day paralysed from the waist down, or suddenly get total body numbness, and begin with a severe physical lapse (not ON) are more likely to be more agressive in their future relapse rates?

I have had incredibly mild symptoms for two years which only appear in hot weather, does this mean that I will have a very slow RRMS AKA benign MS, or is there no way to tell? Is there any truth in this that you know of?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Future prognosis of MS, can it be predicted?

Post by jimmylegs »

unfortunately it's all stats and probabilities. very hard to predict with certainty :(
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Maybe.... It can't be predicted, and I know people who started out with a benign course and that changed to a more severe course. I have heard that however you fare over the first five years is somewhat predictive of how you'll do over the following ten or fifteen years.

I would say live one day at a time, and if you're doing well, enjoy that, and do your best to live healthy and maximize your health. :)
KateCW
Family Elder

Post by KateCW »

I read that if your initial symptoms are vision and sensory stuff that is more positive than starting off with gait problems. This has certainly been true in my case as I have never had vision or sensory stuff but have gone downhill rapidly from walking to wheelchair in 5 years.
Kathy, 49 with PPMS,full time scooter.
Married to a wonderful man, mother to a darling 9 yr old boy
cincey

Post by cincey »

From what I know the most important factor is co morbidity issues. But I too have read having sensory problems indicates a better outcome vs cerebellar problems such ataxia. also age of onset, presence of sequlae after first attack/dx and the number and severity of attacks in the first 5 years is a predictor of the next 10-15 years. Social support seems to be a tangible factor. I would also guess that in many cases lifestyle also plays an important part. No one can predict the future and you can effect it by what you do today.
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

Stats, stats and stats. The death of a person is a tragedy, the death of 1 million is statistics.

No, you can't predict anything in MS. By risking of having myself crucified and stoned, I can only tell that the type and severity of CCSVI, another condition that you possibly have, could give a hint about how bad your MS course might be. But this is not conclusive, just a hint.

In conclusion, the most certain thing in MS is that nothing is certain.
Vikingquest
Family Member

Post by Vikingquest »

Thank you all for your insights, I guess I can only hope and pray that I follow a more benign course of the disease... It is frustrating knowing that there is no real way to predict anything with ms and it can take away functionality so quickly and without discrimination. It sucks.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

a-gree. :S
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

I believe that there are things you can do to attempt to stack the deck in your favor. The first step, if applicable, is to eliminate addictive poisons, e.g., ethanol and nicotine. Next, look into the Natural Approach and Diet forums and check out some supplements and dietary changes that will reduce your body's tendency towards inflammation. In particular, eliminate trans fat and reduce saturated fat and simple sugars. Next, try omega-3 supplements from fish oil. Also look into green tea, vitamin D3, curcumin from turmeric, zinc, magnesium, and r-lipoic acid (a potent antioxidant). In addition to these steps, I think that it's also important to maintain an exercise routine to the best of one's ability. Eventually, it seems that MS makes it hard to do things, therefore we do less, as a result it becomes even more difficult to do things. It's a vicious circle. With MS, we have to fight for the privilege of standing still.

NHE
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

NHE wrote:I believe that there are things you can do to attempt to stack the deck in your favor. The first step, if applicable, is to eliminate addictive poisons, e.g., ethanol and nicotine. Next, look into the Natural Approach and Diet forums and check out some supplements and dietary changes that will reduce your body's tendency towards inflammation. In particular, eliminate trans fat and reduce saturated fat and simple sugars. Next, try omega-3 supplements from fish oil. Also look into green tea, vitamin D3, curcumin from turmeric, zinc, magnesium, and r-lipoic acid (a potent antioxidant). In addition to these steps, I think that it's also important to maintain an exercise routine to the best of one's ability. Eventually, it seems that MS makes it hard to do things, therefore we do less, as a result it becomes even more difficult to do things. It's a vicious circle. With MS, we have to fight for the privilege of standing still.

NHE
This^

Its almost 11 months since my acute attack of ON. I have a little residual from this but I would say from major dietary changes and informed supplementation my overall health and well being is better than 3 years ago before the attack. Ironically MS (or Lymes which I am currently being tested for) has resulted in lifestyle changes that I have benefited from

I am now far less creaky - put this down to D3 / Omega 3 /anti inflammatory diet
I suffered upper back tension for 20 years - GONE. I put this down to magnesium
I suffer from far fewer colds - probably D3, zinc, Vit C
Suffered on off reflux - put this down to dietary changes
I generally look healthier and for example I saw several people this weekend I haven't seen for 5 years and they remarked how well I looked.

Of course current performance no indicator of where things will go in the future but as NHE says - do everything to stack the odds in your favour
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

It also may be worse if you are found to have spinal lesions, rather than brain lesions only. The brain has more plastiticy and space to reroute than the spinal cord does.
sou wrote:By risking of having myself crucified and stoned, I can only tell that the type and severity of CCSVI, another condition that you possibly have, could give a hint about how bad your MS course might be. But this is not conclusive, just a hint.
:)
KateCW
Family Elder

Post by KateCW »

Yes and that is why gait problems are a little more sinister. With my PPMS i have spinal lesions and really no brain lesions to speak of. Thus my significant mobility issues.
Kathy, 49 with PPMS,full time scooter.
Married to a wonderful man, mother to a darling 9 yr old boy

Return to “General Discussion”