Gut bacteria linked to Multiple Sclerosis

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Gut bacteria linked to Multiple Sclerosis

Postby MSUK » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:27 pm

The spark that ignites multiple sclerosis may come from within. A new study in mice points to normal intestinal bacteria as a trigger for the immune disorder.

In patients with multiple sclerosis, the body’s immune system attacks the brain, stripping away a protective sheath called myelin from nerve cells. This causes inflammation that leads to the disease. Although the exact causes of MS are not known, scientists generally agree that a genetic predisposition combines with one or more environmental triggers to set off the attack on the brain. The new study provides evidence that friendly bacteria may be one of those triggers.

Mice genetically engineered to develop multiple sclerosis–like symptoms don’t get the disease when raised without any bacteria in their guts, a research team from Germany reports online October 26 in Nature. But germ-free mice that were then colonized with intestinal bacteria quickly developed the disease, the team found. About 80 percent of mice with intestinal bacteria developed MS-like symptoms, but none of the germ-free mice did.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/3021
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Gut bacteria linked to Multiple Sclerosis

Postby Filmmaker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:41 pm

this is the best article about the cause of MS, I just wonder when those reserchers will find how to kill these bacteria...
Filmmaker
Family Elder

Postby Leonard » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:20 am

Please read the last posting of 26 Oct on
general-discussion-f1/topic15188-225.html
The gut bacteria are mentioned there in the second to last paragraph as the cause of the second progressive phase.
I know it is all still a bit speculative at this point but the pieces seem to fit together so neatly..

And yes, I think it is known how these bacteria can be killed off by anti-biotics.
http://www.actrims.org/wp-content/uploa ... NAL_v2.pdf
This is from June 2010. See page 34

Or http://registration.akm.ch/einsicht.php ... N_ID=11599
See the third speech. This is from ECTRIMS/ACTRIMS Oct 2011.
Here minocycline comes into the puicture as well.
I have not seen any further details and would be very interested, if anyone can find.
Leonard
Family Elder

Postby Talisker » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Talisker
Family Member

Postby sou » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:09 am

I would consider it if I were a genetically modified mouse having an autoimmune disorder. I think this is not applicable to humans, though.

Yet another "give-me-funds" rubbish "MS research".
Shortest joke: "We may not be able to cure MS but we can manage its symptoms."
sou
Family Elder

Postby HarryZ » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 am

sou wrote:I would consider it if I were a genetically modified mouse having an autoimmune disorder. I think this is not applicable to humans, though.

Yet another "give-me-funds" rubbish "MS research".

Have to agree with you Sou. Up to now, there hasn't been one successful treatment that worked on that poor MS mouse that ended up working on humans.

Harry
HarryZ
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion