Flu Shot Alternative

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Froggie
Family Elder

Flu Shot Alternative

Post by Froggie »

Hello all- Does anyone have any recommendations for fending off the flu without a flu shot? I'm very gun shy about them, as the last one caused an intention tremor less than 24 hours after I had it. I also moved to a more urban area and have more exposure to the throngs of humanity. I'd rather not be a hermit if avoidable!
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Flu Shot Alternative

Post by CureOrBust »

Amantadine (100capsules in a bottle) as a form of protection. If I know I am going to be around someone who is sick, or was near someone who sneezed during the day, I will pop an Amantadine as an insurance policy. When I actually start to feel the possibility of an infection starting, I will then start with a cycle of Tamiflu (7 day cycle I think, you have to take all the pills once you start).

I am extra careful of this as a cold/flu was previously my only trigger for a relapse. There is no way of really knowing that it works or not, but I can say I have not had a full blown flu for over a year. I actually can not remember the last.
Froggie
Family Elder

Re: Flu Shot Alternative

Post by Froggie »

Thank you for that advice! I forgot about Amantadine. I was taking it for fatigue and still have some on hand. I also have Tamiflu, as I was concerned about the H1N1 virus awhile back.

The one thing I'm diligent about is washing my hands and trying not to touch my face. Unfortunately, it seems the general public is not so mindful when it comes to colds and flu. I've been lucky in avoiding both, but it's good to have something to fight them with.