Rare gene links vitamin D and multiple sclerosis

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

Rare gene links vitamin D and multiple sclerosis

Post by MSUK »

A rare genetic variant which causes reduced levels of vitamin D appears to be directly linked to multiple sclerosis, says an Oxford University study.

UK and Canadian scientists identified the mutated gene in 35 parents of a child with MS and, in each case, the child inherited it.

Researchers say this adds weight to suggestions of a link between vitamin D deficiency and MS.

The study is in Annals of Neurology..... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
nooper
Family Member

Re: Rare gene links vitamin D and multiple sclerosis

Post by nooper »

Very interesting. I wish the majority of these articles did not end in the "but it is likely to be some years yet before we can gauge the significance of vitamin D deficiency to MS."
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

nooper wrote:Very interesting. I wish the majority of these articles did not end in the "but it is likely to be some years yet before we can gauge the significance of vitamin D deficiency to MS."

In the meantime take as much as you can reasonably handle along with co nutrients (magnesium) because on the balance of probabilities Vit D is helpful in MS and is dirt cheap.
Taurus
Family Elder

Post by Taurus »

It confuses me a little. My Vit D3 level was 36 nmol/l once I was diagnosed with MS. Many of my fellows have levels much lower than mine and they are living without any disease (please see that I am not being jealous). Also Vitamin D3 in human body becomes available only after going through various organs like liver and kidneys. I don't know how this rare gene would play its part in genesis of MS.
CVfactor
Family Elder

Post by CVfactor »