How many had Back Problems before being diagnosed with MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Taurus
Family Elder

How many had Back Problems before being diagnosed with MS

Post by Taurus »

Hi all

Lately, I have come to know that all my friends with MS had initially Backaches before being diagnosed with MS. I too had back problems which is due to disc herniation/ protrusion at L5/ S1 causing sciatic pains and weakness in legs (Problem still exists). My neuro says it has nothing to do with MS. Is it a coincidence or somehow connected with MS. How many among of you share the same history like mine and my friends.
Please comment. Thanks
Sajid
ikulo
Family Elder

Re: How many had Back Problems before being diagnosed with M

Post by ikulo »

Hi Taurus, I've often wondered this myself. I have herniated discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1. I initially came to my neuro thinking it was my discs acting up, but the MRIs showed lesions.

There's a wonderful paper that I've been spending time with that discusses the autoimmune response after CNS injury. Here is the paper: http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Yi-Zha ... em-injury/
Originally posted here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 18772.html
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

around the same time i was struggling with MS symptoms, I had bad backache. MRI showed disc swelling around lumbar region. Subsequently, the issue has settled down to a level where I feel issue bending and doing any activity.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
- Max Planck
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

No back problems for me.
mazza
Family Member

Post by mazza »

Yes, herniated disc at L4/L5, but long before the diagnosis. Backache on and off for many years. Low back pain is a common ailment in the general public. Then there is the whole cervical spine story.... see Dr Flanagan's thread. As so many have said we have individual stories. Let's hope the puzzle is put together soon.
Taurus
Family Elder

Post by Taurus »

Herniated Discs or Cervical spine stories due to whiplash or other reasons, all have one thing common and that is weakening of our bone structures. This could be again related to depleted levels of Vitamin D3. Why only spine? That is because the spine takes the maximum load 24/7 all year round. If we further classify, probably cervical and lumber again are areas which gets maximum affected due to their peculiar roles.
Please note that the new theory published in BBC News (British Broadcasting Corporation 2011 (09/12/11)) related D3 levels with rare gene. It makes sense as many of us reside in areas like south east Asia where there is no dearth of Sunshine and yet we get this nonsense disease.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

I had very painful lower back problems, enough to keep me from sleeping. Muscle relaxers or sleeping sitting up was the only way I could get sleep. I went to see a Upper Cervical Dr and through testing I saw the problems. He even asked me if I had lower back pain before I told him. Through my upper cervical adjustments, I now have no lower back pain or any heat sensitivity. I recommend every person go see a upper cervical dr
Taurus
Family Elder

Post by Taurus »

civickiller

Did this treatment resolve some of your MS related issues like weakening in legs, numbness etc ? Do educate us all. Thanks
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Post by Azaeleaprawn »

Oh yes, definitely, I had a lot of low back pain. I had back strains from bad lifting incidents so my GP kept sending me for MRIs of my lower back despite all the other symptoms I had and talked about.
Also had whiplash & concussion from a nasty car accident.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

As I am in a wheelchair, I know I can stand now and balance for a few minutes. Like I said before, I lost my heat sensitivity that hindered me everyday, my feet are warm since before they were ice cold, my legs are getting stronger as when I was pressing weights, my legs never got stronger at all but by simply trying to walk my legs are stronger

the results are about the same as some people got with ccsvi surgery but instead of 11k, I've only spent 1.5k, alot cheaper in my book. I'm just hoping this lead to more of an improvement when/if I need the ccsvi surgery. I won't lie, it's an ongoing thing as your atlas will continue to start holding it's correct alignment longer and longer
Taurus
Family Elder

Post by Taurus »

Thank you civickiller for your prompt reply.

If I understand it correctly, correction of Upper cervical minimized or lessened your few of the symptoms. Thanks a great news. Actually, I wanted to hint to the latest study of Abnormal CSF Hydrodynamics in the Genesis of Multiple Sclerosis posted at fonar website http://www.fonar.com/pdf/PCP41_damadian.pdf. I am sure most of you guys must be aware of this.
I, unfortunately, live in such part of the world where there is no facility like upright MRIs and measuring abnormal CSF hydrodynamics. I had even asked my radiologist to see if my upper cervical adjustment is out. He could not find it nor was bothered about it. Nevertheless, most of pwMS on this forum are from developed countries and they can ensure correct spinal alignment with correct CSF hydrodynamics. We should all make our efforts towards better health and just not wait for our GPs and consultants to call us. They will never be bothered no matter what happens with you. Best wishes for all
RobM105
Family Member

Post by RobM105 »

The only back 'problem', I've ever had was that it hurts to lay flat on my back, and I always have to crack it.
I refuse to fail, to kneel or bow.
No power in the 'verse can stop me now!
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

I forgot what page it was but Dr Flanagan said that Dr Rosa found Chiari1 malformation in every ms patient Dr Rosa saw

RobM, it doesn't hurt when you stand up still for a while? Laying flat on my back use to hurt too, that's why I had to sleep siting upright or take muscle relaxers, idk if you know but the pain comes from the fact that your back muscles are always working because it's trying to keep your spine straight
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Taurus wrote:Actually, I wanted to hint to the latest study of Abnormal CSF Hydrodynamics in the Genesis of Multiple Sclerosis posted at Fonar website http://www.fonar.com/pdf/PCP41_damadian.pdf. I am sure most of you guys must be aware of this.
I, unfortunately, live in such part of the world where there is no facility like upright MRIs and measuring abnormal CSF hydrodynamics. I had even asked my radiologist to see if my upper cervical adjustment is out. He could not find it nor was bothered about it. Nevertheless, most of pwMS on this forum are from developed countries and they can ensure correct spinal alignment with correct CSF hydrodynamics. We should all make our efforts towards better health and just not wait for our GPs and consultants to call us.
I found what I think is the only Fonar upright MRI in Australia, and emailed them the PDF with a question on if they could duplicate the tests. I have had no response; since 28 Nov 2011. :? I am going to need to chase them up again, but this time of year is notorious for people being on vacation. I will post if/when I get any results as I understand its always good to hear personal testimony from (hopefully) unbiased sources.
tedhutchinson
Family Member

Post by tedhutchinson »

The Alkaline Diet: Is There Evidence That an Alkaline pH Diet Benefits Health?
This free full text review article has a section on back pain that may be of interest.
Both MAGNESIUM and VITAMIN D3 are usually deficient in modern lifestyles so paying attention to getting both magnesium and vitamin d3 replete may improve back pain.