Heading off Optic Neuritis or other form of relapse

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Heading off Optic Neuritis or other form of relapse

Post by mrbarlow »

Yesterday I developed a left sided headache with intermittant pain behind the eye. In addition my left senuses felt blocked. Paracetomol wouldn't clear it and most worryingly it was the same as what I had in the 5 days run up to my Optic Neuritis attack in Nov 2010 (my one and only acute attack).

In response I took;

1500mg of inosine
An extra 5000iu Vit D
An extra 4grams of fish oil
Plus my scheduled 44mcg of Interferon

and for the first time 5mg of oral Prednislone

This morning virtually all gone bar a little fuzziness in the head. Coincidence or timely early intervention? Any views on the use of low dose Prednisone to head off a relapse?
SaintLouis
Family Elder

Re: Heading off Optic Neuritis or other form of relapse

Post by SaintLouis »

I have no direct experience with that but I think it sounds like as good of an idea as any. If I could get my hands on any low-dose steroids I'd do it too. My doc won't give me any, he's quite stingy with the steroids.

I will say I've had thresh-hold bouts of ON that I *think* were headed off my sleeping inclined. I say "think" because I can't prove it, but I'm fairly certain.
CVfactor
Family Elder

Post by CVfactor »

I get periodic bouts of ON behind my left eye. I take Excedrin Extra strength and it usually subsides but sometimes I take it two or three times a day.

Last fall my doctor and I decided to reduce my vitamin D level because I am near the upper limit. Since then I had bouts of skin sensitivity (feels like I had a sunburn on my shoulders) and more recently Lhermitte's sign. I switched back to my old dosage of vitamin D and my problems seem to be aleviating since I have been back (about a month). Not sure if it is coincidence but Im glad its going away.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

SaintLouis wrote:I have no direct experience with that but I think it sounds like as good of an idea as any. If I could get my hands on any low-dose steroids I'd do it too. My doc won't give me any, he's quite stingy with the steroids.

I will say I've had thresh-hold bouts of ON that I *think* were headed off my sleeping inclined. I say "think" because I can't prove it, but I'm fairly certain.
Im in Saudi Arabia and you can buy a lot of Meds over the counter including prednisone. Moving back to the Uk soon so I shall take a dozen boxes or so.

Perhaps you should ask around - friends / family in other countries could send you some?