student insurance in usa and ms

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

student insurance in usa and ms

Postby mahdi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:17 am

I am a foreign applicant wanting to apply in PHD degree and getting scholarship. But I am suffering from multiple sclerosis disease.

Would you please inform me insurance of graduate students supports the drug cost or I must prepare them in free market. How much cost I should spend yearly?

Beat Regards
mahdi

Advertisement

Re: student insurance in usa and ms

Postby NHE » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:41 am

mahdi wrote:I am a foreign applicant wanting to apply in PHD degree and getting scholarship. But I am suffering from multiple sclerosis disease.

Would you please inform me insurance of graduate students supports the drug cost or I must prepare them in free market. How much cost I should spend yearly?

I suppose it depends on which medication you're taking. As a graduate student, you probably won't be making a great deal of money (even as a PhD student). When I was in grad school I had a university provided graduate student health insurance plan (GSHIP). This was through Blue Cross. Enrollment in the plan was covered by tuition and fees. If you're supported by a lab on a PI's grant, then this should be covered. I was diagnosed with MS during my second year as a grad student and decided to take Avonex. I ordered it through the school's health center pharmacy and my copay for a one month supply was around $500 if I remember correctly (this was in 2000, prices have gone up since then). Due to my limited income as a grad student, I qualified for Biogen's financial assistance program and just had to buy the first month and then they gave me the rest of the year for free.

I hope that helps. Note that your specific case might be different since you'll be a foreign student. I'm not sure how that will affect things.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: student insurance in usa and ms

Postby mahdi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:53 am

NHE wrote:
mahdi wrote:I am a foreign applicant wanting to apply in PHD degree and getting scholarship. But I am suffering from multiple sclerosis disease.

I suppose it depends on which medication you're taking. As a graduate student, you probably won't be making a great deal of money (even as a PhD student). When I was in grad school I had a university provided graduate student health insurance plan (GSHIP). This was through Blue Cross. Enrollment in the plan was covered by tuition and fees. If you're supported by a lab on a PI's grant, then this should be covered. I was diagnosed with MS during my second year as a grad student and decided to take Avonex. I ordered it through the school's health center pharmacy and my copay for a one month supply was around $500 if I remember correctly (in 2000, prices have gone up since then). Due to my limited income as a grad student, I qualified for Biogen's financial assistance program and just had to buy the first month and then they gave me the rest of the year for free.

I hope that helps. Note that your specific case might be different since you'll be a foreign student. I'm not sure how that will affect things.

NHE

thank you. i will be research assistant and will get 33000$ per year that 2500 $ is spent for insurance. i don't know what services i get for 2500$!!!!! i take Avonex for 4 years.
mahdi

Return to General Discussion