fatigue

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
REDHAIRANDTEMPER
Family Elder

fatigue

Post by REDHAIRANDTEMPER »

hey everyone,
can anyone give me a couple of suggestions to help with fatigue.i been having a heck of a time with the being tired all the time..no matter how much i rest take naps go to bed early i just cant seem to be rested or more my self....i thought i had experienced fatgue when my kids were babys and colicy.. but that was nothing compared to what i have now..i was just wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on how to keep my strength up...thankks in advance for everything...

chris :(
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Are you taking any D3??? It seems to have helped John. Also glucosamine seems to help as well
Last edited by Melody on Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
LifeontheIce
Family Elder

Post by LifeontheIce »

LDN helped me tremendously.
Barbara
oreo
Family Elder

Post by oreo »

1. Do you snore?

2. What medication, if any, are you on for your MS?

3. Does your fatigue come on suddenly, or does it build slowly, or do you get out of bed tired first thing in the morning?
Carpe Diem
Alicia
Family Member

Fatigue

Post by Alicia »

Hello,

I have read about an interesting pilot study that says taking asprin reduced fatigue by 40% in people with MS.

I found this information on a website titled www.msneighborhood.com.

Alicia
Alicia
Family Member

Fatigue

Post by Alicia »

Correction...

Sorry, the study says the proportion of patients who benefited from asprin in the study was 40%. 40% was not the level of fatigue reduced.

Alicia
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Oreo--those are great questions.

RedHairAndTemper--I'll toss ALCAR (a supplement) into the hopper as well.

Here's an abstract on a small trial comparing ALCAR to Amantadine.
The results of this study show that ALCAR is better tolerated and more effective than amantadine for the treatment of MS-related fatigue.
I believe Amantadine is frequently prescribed for "MS fatigue". I've never taken it but I do take ALCAR.

Sharon
Katman
Family Elder

Post by Katman »

At the risk of being told to go sit in the corner, I will say that I am PPMS and have never had a remission but was deadly tired and only became more so every day, even for the first 6 months after beginning abx. After almost 9 months I realized I was not as tired and could go for hours without a rest. Now, after 16 months on abx I get up at 6 am and go for 16 hours. Symptoms don't get better for progressives- only worse. I can't speak for RR.

Rica
Last edited by Katman on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 5 years 4 months Now on Amoxicillin, Doxy, Rifampin, Azith, and caffeine in addition to  flagyl. 90% normal good days-50% normal bad days. That is a good thing.
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Katman wrote:At the risk of being told to go sit in the corner,

Rica
No need for that it's best to share all sides of improvement. Actually if your body isn't fighting with itself it makes sense you are less tired. ABX has helped you. John spent the last 7 years sleeping more and more till I actually told him the couch appeared to be stuck to his ass. :lol: Obviously that was pre MS dx. Since his change in diet and other regime he very rarely needs to nap. If I note him napping I now bump up his glucosamine and am very strict with his eating habits at that time. Once we reduced his allergens his body was working better. That worked for John. Likely each person will be different which makes it more trial and error flight time. His fatigue ended just prior to starting copaxone so that is not a contributing factor IMO. The glucosamine we use now but I also know that was started just recently.
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
REDHAIRANDTEMPER
Family Elder

Post by REDHAIRANDTEMPER »

thanks everyone for the responses..
no i am not on any medication yet for the ms..he wants to do one more mri of the brain here the end of febuary to see what has happened since i first had symptoms...i have a neuro test on the 23rd...the fatigue as been getting worse since the end of august..the problem is that with the limp i have cause of my right leg dragging when i really get tired i almost trip...but thanks everyone for the suggestions..will be trying them for sure...

chris
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

HI redhairedtmeper! I want to add to the ALCAR story. I read about 4 years ago that it was helpful in stroke patients increasing their tolerance to exercise about 30%. I thought it might be interesting in MS I studied it for possible autoimmune stimulation (I was still in th atoimmune camp at that time), found it to be safe, and so worked out at the gym on the elipse for maximal tolerance at level 3. I quit when my leg started to feel shaky (I was healthier then). 30 minutes I could do routinely then I took alcar and it improved my time to shakiness to 40 minutes and I got off the machine still walking well. BIg improvement! It is short acting though like if you take it and go to the gym after 6 hours it is not as effective at increasing times. It improves mitochondrial function so you have more energy at a cellualr level.
marie