herpes virus in monkeys that causes an MS like disease

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Liberation
Family Elder

herpes virus in monkeys that causes an MS like disease

Post by Liberation »

Last edited by Liberation on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSpeece
Getting to Know You...

Re: herpes virus in monkeys that causes an MS like disease

Post by JSpeece »

I was at OHSU the other day and had my blood drawn for this study. When they have the results I will receive an email and will provide a link. Obviously it will be awhile before that happens.

On a humorous side note. My friends had a field day with me when I told them I was getting tested for "Monkey Herpes".
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

EBV possibly too
Interrupted
Family Elder

Post by Interrupted »

Herpes groups? They're continuing on the right track at last.
28/07/10, 04/10/10, 16/11/10 - CCSVi Dopplers x3 ** 12/10/10 - Poland procedure. Symptoms worsened. No improvement.
13/02/12 - Wheldon ABX protocol for 1.5yrs. Fairly stable but no improvement. Unable to source alternate ABX needed.
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

correct, see also last page http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 8-285.html that explain the role of virus blocking receptors
leonardo
Family Member

Post by leonardo »

Immunopathology of Japanese macaque encephalomyelitis is similar to multiple sclerosis.
Japanese macaque encephalomyelitis (JME) is an inflammatory demyelinating disease that occurs spontaneously in a colony of Japanese macaques (JM) at the Oregon National Primate Research Center. Animals with JME display clinical signs resembling multiple sclerosis (MS), and magnetic resonance imaging reveals multiple T2-weighted hyperintensities and gadolinium-enhancing lesions in the central nervous system (CNS). Here we undertook studies to determine if JME possesses features of an immune-mediated disease in the CNS. Comparable to MS, the CNS of animals with JME contain active lesions positive for IL-17, CD4+ T cells with Th1 and Th17 phenotypes, CD8+ T cells, and positive CSF findings.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26857488
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

FYI to those who noticed that this thread was bumped from 2012, the PubMed report that leonardo linked to today is current and dated Feb. 15, 2016. :smile:
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

This shows 2 things: how close macaque genetics and physiology is to human, and in fact, that what they may have is actual MS, for all intents and purposes. Rather than go into the macaque euthanasia business, if you cure the macaque disease, haven't you also cured the human one?

Why doesn't somebody try using all these MS drugs that are supposed to be disease-modifying, on the sick macaques? There's certainly a lot of veterinary-grade biotin around. They might benefit from a CCSVI procedure. Somebody should be checking to see if they have something similar. If so, what might be the prevalence?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I did a search for this latest paper, and came across the following. The first link includes (starts on about page 9) what may be the full original article (was from 2011 and from the same institute) http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a553928.pdf
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

Liberation wrote:"Now Japanese Macaques could hold the key to helping people like Susan. Scientists at the Oregon National Primate Center have discovered a new herpes virus in monkeys that causes an MS like disease in Macaques.

These brain lesions are a classic indicator of inflammation in people with MS. The discovery could help scientists solve how the disease develops and stop its onset. "

http://www.stemcelldoctors.org/multiple ... ith-ms.php

of course, MS is cause by the herpes virus, in casu VZV and EBV.
see also the thesis on http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 27300.html
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

No MS patient should let this pass without comment. What have we all been complaining about for the last 30 or so years? The horrors, MS sucks, chronic problems, etc. So it's somehow OK to give it to another animal, as long as they aren't human? Well, I wouldn't claim to be human if I didn't already have that unfortunate diagnosis.

Oh, boy. Give the Japanese macaques MS, probably put them through ten years of testing, then kill them. Fun with science. Survival of the individual proves nothing. An individual, fit or not, will contribute eagerly to the extinction of any or all species, especially their own, if there is money in it.

May have to recuse myself from any further use of MS drugs. :-( My heart would be broken anyway...
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)