Newly Diagnosed: Torn between treatment options. Help?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Re: Newly Diagnosed: Torn between treatment options. Help?

Postby patientx » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:49 am

John,

Avonex is not your only choice for a DMD. For example, there's also Copaxone, which is not associated with the flu-like side effects of the interferons.
User avatar
patientx
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Advertisement

Re: Newly Diagnosed: Torn between treatment options. Help?

Postby maynaka » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:12 pm

My two cents...

I agree with Lyndacarol, if you're up to taking the classes now, go for it!

Everyone is different. I didn't do anything for the first 15 years after my diagnosis (I believe it's called denial). I had no symptoms. I think my downfall was a combination of a very stressful job and a very poor diet.

From years 16 to 24 I tried everything (Betaseron, Avonex, chemo/steroids, Rebif, LDN, Tysabri, Antibiotics, even bee venon therapy). Nothing seemed to work, although the chemo/steroids did stabilize me for awhile. Maybe I waited to long...I don't know.

Over the last six to eight months I have followed a very strict diet, rich in greens and fruit. I eat about 95% organic and am gluten, sugar and processed food free. I do eat meat, organic beef, free range chicken, etc. The only meds I have taken in the last four to five years are baclofen and 4-AP.

Over the last few months, my husband has begun to notice slight improvements.

My suggestion to you would be start eating healthy (it can't hurt) while you decide how to proceed.

Good luck.

M
User avatar
maynaka
Family Elder
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Newly Diagnosed: Torn between treatment options. Help?

Postby DougL » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 pm

maynaka wrote:I agree with Lyndacarol, if you're up to taking the classes now, go for it!


i agree. do whatever you can now because who knows what tomorrow will bring.

maynaka wrote:... Over the last six to eight months I have followed a very strict diet, rich in greens and fruit. I eat about 95% organic and am gluten, sugar and processed food free. I do eat meat, organic beef, free range chicken, etc. The only meds I have taken in the last four to five years are baclofen and 4-AP.

Over the last few months, my husband has begun to notice slight improvements.


yay
User avatar
DougL
Family Elder
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Newly Diagnosed: Torn between treatment options. Help?

Postby MarkLavelle » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 pm

DougL wrote:do whatever you can now because who knows what tomorrow will bring.
+1

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
MarkLavelle
Family Elder
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay area

Previous

Return to General Discussion

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service