Research

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

Research

Post by bromley »

The NMSS website includes details of the latest research:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Progre ... search.asp

The section on MS numbers is interesting given our previous discussions on a possible infectious cause.

In one of the papers it states that 'The last 7 or 8 years have seen exponential advances in understanding MS'. I use to complain when I saw stuff like this but I've changed my ways!

Ian
gwa
Family Elder

Myelin repair

Post by gwa »

bromley,

The past 5 years have seen a huge increase in researchers pinpointing what is happening to myelin in MS patients. I believe a large part of the current research is happening because of better technology.

Much of the findings I read are way over my level of understanding, but there are always people on boards that can explain the meaning of the research. Thank goodness for these people.

It is realistic to me that we will have some good treatments within the next decade that actually make us better.

gwa
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

GWA,

I agree with you on the issue of technology. More powerful scanners will reveal more about what this disease is about which in turn should help identify better ways to fight it.

One of the research papers talks about the possibility of repairing tissue damage done, not just stopping progression.

When I was dx I called my national MS society helpline, the woman on the phone told me that the society was planning internally that it would not exist in ten years time. She may have been trying to cheer me up but I imagine that no-one in the late 1950's would have believed that a man would walk on the moon in a decade.

By the time I come to meet my maker, I imagine that the organ donor scheme will also include brains.

Ian