I've never been so scared in my life

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

I've never been so scared in my life

Postby zeezeee » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi everyone,

don't mean to seem selfish or rude but I came here for advice. I'll say everything:

Since childhood I have always been constipated. My visit's to the bathroom ranging from every 2-3 days all the way to 7-9 (very painful indeed). Although this seemed to me to always be due to my diet as whenever I've had fibre in my system consistently for more than two days things work very well.

At the age of 15 the whole lower half of my body went numb for about a month or two. I went to the doctor and he pinched me a few times. He told me that I was obese and that fat was interfering with my nerves. I took this into consideration and lost a lot of weight there after. I didn't have the same problem again, although my left foot never fully recovered.

Fast forward and I am now 21. Last summer I spent the whole week staring at a 50" TV. Like a fool I used it like a monitor. I woke up the next morning with very blurry vision. It took 3 weeks to get better and things were fine.

Then last November I made the stupid choice of doing this again. I stayed awake all night looking at a 26" monitor as I tried to finish some uni work. The next morning the same vision problems but worse presented themselves. It took round about 2 months to get better.

I has a MRI scan and I was told that it revealed nothing. But I went to my GP today and he dropped the bomb on me that my next appointment on 18th of June is because it seems to them that I have MS. Realising what he'd just said he went on to try reassure me that nothing is concrete but looking at my past I can't help but think it's a definite.

I'm confused and scared to be honest. I have no idea what all this means.

Sorry for the long read, but it's now 4am and I cannot sleep. Any advice?
zeezeee

Advertisement

Re: I've never been so scared in my life

Postby MarkLavelle » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 pm

zeezeee wrote:I has a MRI scan and I was told that it revealed nothing. But I went to my GP today and he dropped the bomb on me that my next appointment on 18th of June is because it seems to them that I have MS. Realising what he'd just said he went on to try reassure me that nothing is concrete but looking at my past I can't help but think it's a definite.

I'm confused and scared to be honest. I have no idea what all this means.
Your GP may have suspicions, but he's probably not qualified to decide whether you have MS, and unless he's done much more testing than you've mentioned he can't possibly have enough data, either. But in any case, if that's what he thinks, he should send you to a neurologist.

Your description of your vision issues was confusing, but you'd really need an ophthalmologist to take a look while you're having the problem to get useful info. Neurologists don't have the necessary equipment (or training) to diagnose eye problems, even if they're connected to neurological issues.

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
MarkLavelle
Family Elder

Re: I've never been so scared in my life

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:08 pm

hi zeezeee welcome to the site, you're being proactive just by finding us so good for you!

if you have any concerns about nutrition, my signature links below may be a helpful place for you to start reading. lots of great info on many subjects here.

just going back to one thing you mentioned, there are certain magnesium supplements that have laxative action and whatever your body manages to absorb will only do you good. you could try magnesium oxide 100mg on day one, 200mg on day two, etc but once you get over 200mg make sure it's on a day you can stay near the toilet, just to be safe!

welcome again, happy reading. after you've rested your eyes that is ;)

(ps magnesium is relaxing and can help you sleep too - for better absorption, choose magnesium glycinate. also look into magnesium-rich foods and you could think about epsom salts baths too. magnesium is only the tip of the iceberg but it's a good place to start anyway)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion