Sleep apnea is very common and underdiagnosed

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
search
Family Member

Sleep apnea is very common and underdiagnosed

Post by search »

Sleep apnea is a grossly underdiagnosed condition that can exacerbate the neuron damage, fatigue, irritability, impaired memory, etc, of MS. Although its incidence increases with age, excess weight, male sex, smoking, diabetes, etc, it can affect people of all ages and both sexes. It also damages severely the heart, kidneys, etc, Accordingly, it may be wise to rule out sleep apnea in all MS patients and especially so in MS patients who are overweight, experience severe fatigue, have diabetes, etc, as weight, diabetes, etc, are rapidly increasing in America, the incidence of SA also increases. SA can be treated very effectively in most cases, improving quality of life and health.

The incidence of SA, MS, diabetes, osteoporosis, etc, increases with vit D deficiency, whose risk increases with latitude and age.
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Re: Sleep apnea is very common and underdiagnosed

Post by Vivianne766 »

Very interesting. My father had SA and although he did not have MS; in the last 2-3 years of his life he had symptoms VERY similar to people with MS (me ). I have a feeling I have SA too. I once woke up at night short of breath. I made an app. w/my GP. He set me up w/ a class about SA but I missed it and never followed up. I might ask him to hook me up w/ that sleep study/class again.
search
Family Member

Post by search »

A class about it may not be as useful as a test do diagnose it, but its a beginning.
Good luck
search
Family Member

Post by search »

I would like to mention that the few cases of people with both gout and MS (which are usually mutually exclusive) often display SA, whose hypoxia, impaired circulation, damaged tissue, etc, contribute to both diseases.