Depression and Alzheimer's

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Depression and Alzheimer's

Postby Toyoterry » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:51 pm

The ABC evening news on Monday had a story concerning a possible link between clinical depression and Alzheimer's. The researchers propose a link between the two, theorizing that people who suffer from depression were more likely to develope Alzheimer's. It suggested that there is a connection between the substances(?) involved in depression and the formation of plaques in the brain. Since MS suffers also exhibit plaques could there be a similar connection ? I don't know if you she (you) saw the story or not but I would love to hear her (your) take on the story.
Terry
Toyoterry
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Depression and Alzheimer's

Postby NHE » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:00 am

Toyoterry wrote:Since MS suffers also exhibit plaques could there be a similar connection

I don't know a lot about Alzheimer's and I haven't read the ABC news article but MS plaques and Alzheimer's plaques are two different things. MS plaques are caused by demyelination while Alzheimer's plaques are due to the accumulation of the protein amyloid beta.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion