What diagnostics / blood work can i request to find out ...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Re: What diagnostics / blood work can i request to find out

Postby NHE » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:31 pm

jimmylegs wrote:re comparison to vs zinc picolinate - do you mean zinc GLUconate or zinc glyCINate?

there's an older study out there that i've referenced elsewhere, which suggests that the picolinate form is better absorbed than the gluconate or citrate forms.

zinc glycinate is supposed to be better than picolinate, which is better than zinc oxide, which is better than zinc gluconate, according to a more recent 2008 study.

so. either way, you should be fine alternating one of each each day until they're gone, and then when you buy more look for zinc glycinate.

I was taking 30mg/day of zinc glycinate for about a year and my blood test levels went down. It could just be me though. I have switched over to zinc methionine sulfate which goes by the name optizinc. I was wondering if you have any thoughts regarding that form?

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:04 pm

hi NHE, i have not yet seen anything specific on zinc methionine sulfate. it's hard to say whether or why zinc glycinate could have been poorly absorbed in your case. so many potential interactions... it's a complicated game, for sure.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby dc10 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:00 am

i have that e8 with the dinner vitamins, forgot to add it in my regimen i posted - just edited it

- my results should be available on Thursday so i will report back what they say :)

I forgot to say in my last post but id love to stop all these vitamins/supplements i just take a top quality super multi-vitamin,

i do intend to transfer tp just a multi-vit oonce these runs out,

but may still take a B50 & vit D3. As these seem key for MS patients - plus i dont get much sun here in the UK.

I checked out your AOR Autho core multi vit , and its too expensive , especially as the serving size is 6 tablets, so that $50 tub will only last 1 month,

are there any other multi-vits you could please recommend which only require 1-2 tablets per day, agai the cheaper the better too

thank you
dc10
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:15 am

hey there, yep it's pricey all right.

i currently take between 2 and 4 or those ortho multis each day. might work up to 6 in time, but i kind of doubt it. with a strong focus on nutrient dense healthy food, i will likely keep it to 4 per day max. all depends on how i feel and how the blood looks.

for years i was using progressive active women's, serving size 3 per day (i rarely took all 3) but i had to buy several other things as well, specifically an expensive vitamin e8 product for example, to compensate for the subpar forms that were used for some of progressive's components.

have you added up total monthly expenditure for all the different ones you currently take? that's an exercise i should probably do for myself...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby lyndacarol » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:36 pm

dc10 wrote:Lyndacarol,

I have constipation, bladder symptoms so maybe i shoud of got that fasting insulin test,
but say it shows positive, what treatment options are there and how successful are they?

i questioned whether i have a problem with absorbing nutrients due to the weight loss ive had since aged 14-15, which unexpectedly occurred and has remained
my dr took bloods for a Celiacs screen

The detrusor muscles and sphincter muscles are smooth muscles responsible for emptying the bladder properly and moving things along in the intestines; all smooth muscles are affected by excess insulin. If you have a fasting blood insulin test with results higher than 3 UU/ML, the ONLY treatment option that will lower the level is diet. There is no drug treatment available for it. I think that following the Dr. Wahls' diet STRICTLY (NO starchy vegetables, etc.) should ultimately lower the insulin level. My internist told me once that fasting for three days would cause the pancreas to stop producing insulin; however, this is VERY EXTREME!

If you have a problem with absorbing nutrients, I think this is more likely due to insulin damaging the villi on the inside wall of the small intestine. For some sensitive people (having celiac's disease) the protein, gluten, found in many grains also damages the interior of the small intestine.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:04 am

interesting re villi...
Intestinal microflora, morphology and enzyme activity in zinc-deficient and Zn-supplemented rats
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3676178
"Morphological examination of samples of jejunum and ileum confirmed that Zn deficiency in the rat is accompanied by a reduction in villous dimensions and increase in villous density. After a short period of Zn supplementation, villous density and the basal width and maximum height of individual villi in the jejunum returned to normal."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:06 pm

noticed a decent-looking uk supplement shop: revital health place.
i checked out their web site the products look good: https://www.revital.co.uk/home
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Previous

Return to General Discussion