Breastfeeding is associated with lower risk for MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Breastfeeding is associated with lower risk for MS

Postby MSUK » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:40 am

Summary: This interesting new epidemiological study from a research group in Berlin, Germany has found an association between breastfeeding in infancy on the risk of developing MS. The data suggests that breastfeeding is protective against developing MS but that the protective effect only emerges after four months of breastfeeding. These findings are similar to studies of other autoimmune diseases and gives further insight into possible benefits of breastfeeding infants.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1936
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Breastfeeding is associated with lower risk for MS

Postby ssmme » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:45 am

My mom breastfed all four of her children for a good 10 to 12 months - buying formula was too expensive. Even though the odds of getting ms were reduced for me I still "won" this lottery. Lucky me...
Marcia
ssmme
Family Elder

Postby Daisy3 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 am

BS

My husband was breastfed exclusively for at least 12 months and he still developed this disease.
I wish they would do some useful research like what causes MS and how to help get people better instead of telling us that breastfeeding our children is good for them. No one can say they don't know breastfeeding is good for babies. We can all say we don't have a clue how MS is caused.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Postby euphoniaa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:04 am

Daisy3 wrote:BS

My husband was breastfed exclusively for at least 12 months and he still developed this disease.
I wish they would do some useful research like what causes MS and how to help get people better instead of telling us that breastfeeding our children is good for them. No one can say they don't know breastfeeding is good for babies. We can all say we don't have a clue how MS is caused.

I completely agree. :smile:
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS or MS symptoms except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
euphoniaa
Family Elder

Postby Azaeleaprawn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:34 pm

ssmme wrote:My mom breastfed all four of her children for a good 10 to 12 months - buying formula was too expensive. Even though the odds of getting ms were reduced for me I still "won" this lottery. Lucky me...

Me too.
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Postby NHE » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 pm

I'll vote for bottle fed (probably from a polycarbonate bottle made from bisphenol-A). :confused:
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby lyndacarol » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:40 pm

This article seems to focus on the infant who was breast-fed and later risk of developing MS; but I look at it in another way: I think women who breast-feed their babies would have the same rate of remission as women in their third trimester of pregnancy seem to have. Again… the insulin angle.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion