Who owns this site?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Who owns this site?

Postby johnrob » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:11 am

Begs the question who profits from this site? IF profit is involved - maybe the site is not as "unbiased" as one would think. hmmm...

Just out of curosity : Do a whois search on the domain name "thisisms.com" then do a search on the phone number listed
(480) 624-2599 I did... You'll get tons of listings -

While your at it do a search on ExperienceProject.com (a link at the bottom of the main page of thisisms.com)

Both domains are registered using a proxy (used to hide the identity of the owner)... Wondering now why the owner of thisisms.com wants to hide thier indentity? Things that make ya go hmmm?

The Domain Server is listed as HOSTPC.COM associated with:
Administrative Contact:
Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
Whois Agent (wrsxkmrs@whoisprivacyprotect.com)
+1.4252740657
Fax: +1.4256960234
PMB 368, 14150 NE 20th St - F1
C/O hostpc.com
Bellevue, WA 98007
US
*********************************


Search of THISISMS.COM:
Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
Domain Name: THISISMS.COM
Created on: 09-Nov-03
Expires on: 09-Nov-08
Last Updated on: 08-Dec-05

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration THISISMS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration THISISMS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
(480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
NS40A.HOSTPC.COM
NS40B.HOSTPC.COM
johnrob
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: PA

Advertisement

Postby Melody » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:31 am

This might answer some of your questions.


ICANN, the international governing body for domain names, requires every Registrar to maintain a publicly accessible "WHOIS" database displaying all contact information for all domain names registered.




Example: John Smith lives at 1234 Elm Street, Hometown AZ 85000. His home phone is 480-555-5555. He buys "ProxiedDomain.com".
With a public registration, John's personal information is available for anyone to see.
With a private registration, John's personal information is shielded from public display, and a private email address allows John to control who reaches him.

<shortened url>
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
User avatar
Melody
Family Elder
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Postby Arron » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:43 am

I enjoy the conspiracy theories, but I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. This is MS does indeed have a bias-- the elimination of Multiple Sclerosis from all of our lives. For almost 3 years, we have worked hard to demonstrate that. But to be explicit, we have no corporate sponsorships or grants or "educational" stipends, etc. The Google advertisements and the donations link help us *defray* the costs of running this site, which has grown considerably commensurate with its popularity (over 2500 members! woohoo!).

Privacy is important to the people that are involved in this site for many reasons, not the least of which is because the internet is *not* always a benign place filled with people that only want the best for you-- and that is all I believe I need to say as a reasonable person will catch my drift. Since we are not a corporation, but individuals, revealing names and addresses of the everyday people involved here will do no good and strongly discourage us from being able to freely pursue stories from all aspects of the MS community. If nothing else, listing your personal phone number and address in a public, online database will never be a good idea-- could you just imagine the spam? ;)

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me personally (webmaster AT [thiswebsitename].com). Otherwise, I understand your cynicism, but please accept This is MS at face value-- we're honestly trying to help.


From our FAQ:

Who runs this site?

We're a group of friends who have been affected by MS in various ways--some are generally interested in autoimmune diseases, some have it, some have significant others who have it, others still have best friends or parents. All of us are disgusted with the state of treatments today and at the same time, brimming with excitement over what's being done in the research and drug pipeline field.

We're taking a stance of anonymity for a reason-- this site is to remain unbiased and focused on MS, not us. We contribute by using our skills to create a community and fill it with content, the rest is up to our users such as yourself.
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
User avatar
Arron
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: California, USA

Well said and much appreciated....

Postby johnrob » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:08 pm

Well said and much appreciated....

Maybe you "whomever you are" should consider going non-profit... Give your site some added legitimacy. Just a thought... Turn your 2500 members into 25,000 or more. Considering some 400,000 thousand of us are MS'ers in the USA alone.

Plagerized below because I can't type as fast as I once could due to this numb arm/hand of mine not to mention I can't spell as well either and I constantly transpose letters.. So I do as much cuttin and pastin as possible... Anyway -

Why a Non-Profit Corporation?

A non-profit corporation - one which solicits the help of the community in order to benefit the community - is the best way to achieve goals. The directors and officers of the non-profit are all volunteers who have no desire for any personal financial gain. A non-profit designation assures the community that all proceeds are channeled back into the various projects of the organization: by law, the directors and officers of the non-profit are prohibited from profiting from the activities of the corporation.
There are other distinct advantages to a nonprofit designation. Such as exemption from Federal and State taxes. In addition, donations made to non-profit are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.



Maybe the site is secretly owned by HarryZ.... JUST Kidding !




Arron wrote:I enjoy the conspiracy theories, but I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. This is MS does indeed have a bias-- the elimination of Multiple Sclerosis from all of our lives. For almost 3 years, we have worked hard to demonstrate that. But to be explicit, we have no corporate sponsorships or grants or "educational" stipends, etc. The Google advertisements and the donations link help us *defray* the costs of running this site, which has grown considerably commensurate with its popularity (over 2500 members! woohoo!).

Privacy is important to the people that are involved in this site for many reasons, not the least of which is because the internet is *not* always a benign place filled with people that only want the best for you-- and that is all I believe I need to say as a reasonable person will catch my drift. Since we are not a corporation, but individuals, revealing names and addresses of the everyday people involved here will do no good and strongly discourage us from being able to freely pursue stories from all aspects of the MS community. If nothing else, listing your personal phone number and address in a public, online database will never be a good idea-- could you just imagine the spam? ;)

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me personally (webmaster AT [thiswebsitename].com). Otherwise, I understand your cynicism, but please accept This is MS at face value-- we're honestly trying to help.


From our FAQ:

Who runs this site?

We're a group of friends who have been affected by MS in various ways--some are generally interested in autoimmune diseases, some have it, some have significant others who have it, others still have best friends or parents. All of us are disgusted with the state of treatments today and at the same time, brimming with excitement over what's being done in the research and drug pipeline field.

We're taking a stance of anonymity for a reason-- this site is to remain unbiased and focused on MS, not us. We contribute by using our skills to create a community and fill it with content, the rest is up to our users such as yourself.
johnrob
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: PA

Re: Who owns this site?

Postby HarryZ » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:10 am

johnrob wrote:Begs the question who profits from this site? IF profit is involved - maybe the site is not as "unbiased" as one would think. hmmm...


Well Johnrob.....you certainly think highly enough of this site to copy a message from it and paste it on another MS Forum :wink:

Harry
User avatar
HarryZ
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: London, ON, Canada

Re: Who owns this site?

Postby johnrob » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:01 am

HarryZ wrote:
johnrob wrote:Begs the question who profits from this site? IF profit is involved - maybe the site is not as "unbiased" as one would think. hmmm...


Well Johnrob.....you certainly think highly enough of this site to copy a message from it and paste it on another MS Forum :wink:

Harry


huh? The only other forms I frequent are MSWATCH and the lowdosenaltraxone yahoo group... I work for a living and don't have all day to hang out on forms.. Trust me Harry, I don't think very highly of this site... and never have I copied anything from here and posted on another form... That you can take to the bank... Arron, please update your member count... was 2500 now 2499... Because, I'm outta here....
johnrob
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: PA

Postby Arron » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:53 am

Arron, please update your member count... was 2500 now 2499... Because, I'm outta here....


Umm, ok. I sincerely hope you find another community that fits you better than ours apparently did.
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
User avatar
Arron
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: California, USA

Postby viper498 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:33 pm

Good Riddance! What an A** H***.
User avatar
viper498
Family Elder
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Postby MacKintosh » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:15 pm

Whew! Glad that's over. Now can we get back to the business of getting healthy again? :wink:
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
MacKintosh
Family Elder
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Chicago area

An exchange of expertise

Postby notasperfectasyou » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:55 pm

I hate to admit it, but I know something about getting a nonprofit organization started - a lot more than I know about MS, unfortunately.

The IRS is the entity that grants NPO status and they have, as you would expect an IRS-like process that is not simple. Here's some links to the IRS info about being a non-profit organization. I will answer any and all questions as best as I can. Some of the info above is not exactly acurate - Like trying to understand MS, understanding how to get tax exempt status is complicated and hard to understand. napay

Form 1023 Instructions
Pub 557
Pub 4220
Pub 4221
User avatar
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Who owns this site?

Postby JeanDeEau » Sat May 11, 2013 2:13 pm

It does kinda make ya wonder ...
Why should a guy who signed up here 7 years ago, and only ever posted 10 times, should suddenly want to know who "owns" the forum?
The site LDNNow is a pressure group in the UK for people who want LDN paid for by the state.
The MSWatch.com site he talks about takes you straight to a site for Copaxone.
The site TheMSForum.com is run by (and shills for) a certain dentist in the UK who can actually cure MS.

This site is open. Your view is as good as my view (until the moderators lower the boom).
So maybe there are no posts today that interest me (or you), but there is always tomorrow.
JeanDeEau
Family Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 am

Re: Who owns this site?

Postby CureOrBust » Sat May 11, 2013 7:55 pm

JeanDeEau wrote:The site TheMSForum.com is run by (and shills for) a certain dentist in the UK who can actually cure MS.
? I thought I would take a looksee at this site, and it does not exist. If you preceed it with www. it takes you to a MercSerono website :?
User avatar
CureOrBust
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Who owns this site?

Postby MacKintosh » Sat May 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Have I missed something? The questions about site ownership were posted back in 2006.
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
MacKintosh
Family Elder
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Who owns this site?

Postby JeanDeEau » Sun May 12, 2013 3:29 am

CureOrBust said
I thought I would take a looksee at this site, and it does not exist. If you preceed it with www. it takes you to a MercSerono website

Gee, I'm sorry about that. The guy ran two almost identical sites.
Try
http://www.TheMSForum.org
Maybe he shut one down when the investigation started.
JeanDeEau
Family Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 am

Re: Who owns this site?

Postby CureOrBust » Sun May 12, 2013 5:53 pm

MacKintosh wrote:Have I missed something? The questions about site ownership were posted back in 2006.
No, you didn't miss anything. I did... :oops: and just wanted to follow up specifically on the post I quoted not "on topic" of who owns the site.

I personally think the site is great, and TOTALLY understand and agree with people keeping their privacy! I did not see the accuser post his personal details...
User avatar
CureOrBust
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Next

Return to General Discussion

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users