Could I have Multiple Sclerosis?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
estelsoto29

Could I have Multiple Sclerosis?

Post by estelsoto29 »

I was told by a doctor in the emergency room that my symptoms sounded like I have multiple sclerosis. I just turned 29. I've had joint pain for the past 6 years or so and, 1 1/2 yrs ago i had an episode of doble vision it lasted for about 5 minutes and right after that i had a mayor headache. Went to the emergency room and they didnt find anything wrong, they really couldnt explain it. I've had lots of random dizzy moments,and ache's here and there which I couldnt explain..but 2 months ago I got an episode where I woke up and my right hand felt like it wanted to fall asleep..more like little ants crawling all over my hand, then it went down my right side of my stomach, down my leg..then it went to my neck,face,head...only the right side of my body, i was feeling itchy on my left part of my body, random spots. Also I got this really painful pain in my ( what it felt like) my veins, like if i was getting shocked, for over 24 hrs non stop i felt the pain, i thought i had a clot or something, i felt like if my veins were swollen, it was such a horrible pain. That lasted for over 24 hrs and i went to the emergency room, and the doctor said he doesnt believe its was a stroke,a clot, it sounded more like multiple sclerosis to him. I also get a pain in my right knee and following that i get a horrible pain on my left anckle. I dont have insurance so I cant see a neurologist just yet like the doctor told me I should do. I am having such a stressful day because my 2 year old is too hyper, im starting to feel itchy in random parts of my body, arm,face,neck,head...and light headed...could these be signs of multiple sclerosis?
estelsoto29

Re: Could I have Multiple Sclerosis?

Post by estelsoto29 »

oh and also i have what i call CHRONIC UPPER back pain..more towards the neck,..i've had it for years..doesnt seem like it will ever go away. That sharp needle pain just kills me, I have no energy,difficulty falling asleep, my muscles be hurting...I feel like an 80 year old, and maybe an 80 yr old feels better than me :(
Vikingquest
Family Member

Post by Vikingquest »

Hi there, sorry to hear of all your medical problems. It must be very hard to deal with that with a two year old on the loose. Your symptoms definitely sound like something neurological is going on, whether that's ms or any of the dozen other major neurological conditions out there, it's impossible to tell without an MRI, and it's possible that an MRI on its own won't be enough to diagnose ms. That's not to say I don't think you should get one, you definitely need one ASAP.

I hope that you feel better soon
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome to ThisIsMS, estel. There is no quick, easy way to diagnose MS. I do not think you need a neurologist at the very start; a GP can begin with a thorough baseline examination – a GP can order the tests necessary to rule out many possibilities for your symptoms. For instance, you felt pain in what you thought might be your veins or blood vessels – that could VERY possibly be the source for your problem. You described an itchy feeling in random body parts – a liver problem can cause itchiness. With an active two-year-old, you described a stressful day – stress can cause your cortisol level to rise; high cortisol can cause its own problems. All these areas and many others need to be checked out. Personally, I think many of these symptoms can be due to excess insulin in the body – maybe your pancreas is pumping out too much insulin; I advise all my friends with MS to request a "fasting blood insulin test" (this is NOT the same as a glucose, or blood sugar, test). Take a deep breath; you have found many friends here who want to help you any way we can.