Brain Lesions

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
blondie33
Getting to Know You...

Brain Lesions

Post by blondie33 »

Just wondering if you can just have brain lesions and they are nothing? 4 years ago I had an MRI done. I had just lost my Grandpa, my parents divorced after 30 years, my uncle passed away suddenly and so I started experiencing severe anxiety. Since my anxiety was so bad I was convinced that something was wrong with me. Went to a Neuro who said it sounded like anxiety to him but to put my mind @ ease he ordered an MRI of my brain. A week later he called me to tell me that he found a few white matter brain lesions. FREAKED me out. From there I went and had a spinal tap done and the only thing that was elevated was my IGG Index but no banding. No Lupus or Lyme Disease either. Was suppose to go have a follow up MRI 6 months later but never went. I tried to just block it out of my mind. Well than just a few months ago one of my good friends went into the er and she found out she has a brain aneurysm. This totally freaked me out so I decided to just man up and be proactive with my health and just make an appt. with my neuro and get that dang 2nd MRI. So anyways I had my appt with my neuro last Thursday and my 2nd MRI is scheduled for next Sunday. The thing is I have no symptoms of MS. NADA. Just wondering what the heck these white matter spots could be? I don't get headaches or migraines, I work out 6 days a week and lift weights. I'm just stumped. My neuro also said that the corpus callosum usually shrinks if you have ms and mines not so I'm just curious as to why I have these white matter lesions.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Brain Lesions

Post by HarryZ »

Blondie,

It is a known fact that white matter brain lesions can come and go on their own. That's why using these lesions to determine the activity of MS can be so difficult. Recent information indicates that lesions in the grey matter are far more important and effect MS greater than anything in the white matter. Unfortunately MRIs of grey matter aren't done very often.

MS patients can have just a couple of lesions and have severe symptoms and some can have several lesions and have few or no symptoms. A lot depends on where the lesions are located.

This all adds up to the unpredictable nature of the disease and frustration for MS patients.

Harry
blondie33
Getting to Know You...

Post by blondie33 »

Thanks HarryZ for your response. I really appreciate it. I'm just so scared to get this repeat Mri. I keep thinking the worst & it's causing me so much anxiety!!!
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

blondie33 wrote:Thanks HarryZ for your response. I really appreciate it. I'm just so scared to get this repeat Mri. I keep thinking the worst & it's causing me so much anxiety!!!
I can certainly appreciate the anxiety you are going through. Just remember that there is one fine group of people on this forum (most have MS, I don't, my wife did)and they are a great source of support and advice.

Harry