dry skin????

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
thekid

dry skin????

Post by thekid »

I know this is silly but does anybody out there have dry skin on their face or anywhere else like my dad..it's really extreme. All around in nose and on his forehead, he figures this was a starting symptom for whatever he has, I believe it's MS as every symptom points to this...but I'm no doctor. Just thought I'd ask if skin irritations can go along with this disease as well???
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: dry skin????

Post by NHE »

I haven't heard of dry skin being related to MS. One thing you could try is omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil. Try to get 2g/day of DHA + EPA combined. These omega-3's are good for the skin. They also help reduce inflammation. If the dry skin problem persists, then you might consider seeing a dermatologist. Sometimes in winter my hands get very dry. I like to use the unscented version of Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula hand cream. It takes a while to absorb into the skin so I put it on my hands before I go to bed at night.

NHE
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

is it dry skin with any redness/open sore-like aspect? dry skin can be related to an inflammatory process. i would look at zinc which is important for the immune system and is also on the low side in ms patients. omega 3s are important too as NHE says. i went to a dermatologist who said my skin problem was one thing, that it was too complicated for nutrition, and she gave me prescriptions which i didn't fill. some time after, i discovered and corrected my zinc deficiency and a whole bunch of problems resolved, including some persistent dry skin with sores that had failed to heal up for ages.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

hi, I think many MS patients see altered sweating and dry skin.
please find an explanation in the last posting of today on http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 8-360.html
thekid

Post by thekid »

thanks guys...I know dad takes plenty of vitamins but zinc is not one of them. He already takes the omega-3's and fish oils as we have heard that this could help if he actually gets diagnosed with this disease.....I say when not if..... So just taking the zinc tablets then not necessarily a lotion that has zinc in it? This is no mild case of dry skin no....it's like dry skin to the point where it is becoming raw on either side of his nose and on forehead like shedding kinda....every morning he puts lotion on it so that it doesnt look so bad but has to rehydrate at least 3 times through the day. It's worse when he first wakes up. Thanks for the help.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

my 2c, ointment tends to be weak.

go for it from the inside, in therapeutic doses. eg 50mg zinc gluconate (balanced with 2mg copper) per day. gluconate is supposed to be the form least likely to have cadmium contamination (zinc and cadmium are very very similar so it's tough). and don't neglect the copper balancing. therapeutic zinc can interfere with copper status so you have to take copper with zinc for a precaution against copper depletion.

best to take zinc(+copper) in the morning to match zinc's natural circadian rhythm. consuming gluten grains, sugar, dairy, and/or alcohol can interfere with or deplete zinc.

a serum zinc test would be a really great thing to have done if possible. but no supplements right before testing. it clouds the results.

yes zinc topicals are available off the shelf too, eg zinc oxide 18% in medicated 'penaten' lotion. i have no info on how effective topical zinc is on serum levels.

you will probably have to go to a high end specialty nutrition/health store to find a good product. i am currently stuck with zinc citrate 50mg containing 2mg copper. it's pretty good but i want zinc gluconate with the copper blended in - have not found that particular product to date. regardless, i have had great effect with zinc citrate. hope your dad finds it useful too :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Has your dad seen a dermatologist, or even his GP/internist, about this skin condition on his nose and face? Could it be a form of skin cancer? All the best to you both.
jamit
Family Member

Post by jamit »

I had really dry flaky skin mostly in my face. I could keep "scraping" off skin cells and in really dry weather in the winter scrapes on my hands would never heal. My derm. said try this cream for cell overgrowth inflammation whatever, did not work. However, as I have been seriously zinc deficient for several years I attribute it to that. It has gotten much better with higher zinc levels, but since I am still deficient the skin is still not right, creams make it worse.

I just wanted to mention that I believe we with MS often don't absorb minerals and vitamins efficiently so if you test your dad and find that he is deficient it may take some time to get the levels back up. I am taking 75mg a day with 2.5 to 4mg of cobber (I was also cobber deficient though not as bad as zinc), I started with 30 mg/day the first 6 months and there was no increase, then 50mg where I saw a little increase and now I am on 75mg and hopefully that will do the trick. Cutting out coffee helps a lot, though I still have a morning cup or I would never wake up. I have cut out sugar and alcohol (almost).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi jamit glad your skin has improved some. what are your latest zinc and copper levels? you're not the only one in that boat. it really highlights the importance of bloodwork and of supplementing copper to balance zinc intakes. fyi max daily copper is 10mg.

just finished suggesting to someone else here, who has lower than optimal zinc in spite of 50mg per day, and deficient copper in spite of 2mg per day, to consider taking 100mg zinc every other day, 50mg in between days, and 10mg copper every day, for two weeks then retest levels to evaluate progress.

question jamit - what is your intake of gluten grains like?
andreagwolford

Post by andreagwolford »

It'd be better to not predict anything and consult a good dermatologist first. It could be eczema or something like that. Better confirm it first. Ask your father to drink adequate purified water daily (at least half a gallon daily), Cut out hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats, Add eating more ground flax seeds and extra virgin coconut oil, Use extra virgin coconut oil directly on the skin to give more immediate relief, Get Adequate sleep at night (as close to 8 hours as you can get each day as a minimum). It really works. Hope it helps :)

Wellwisher,
Andrea.G.Wolford
dez2000
Family Member

Post by dez2000 »

Take your vitamins, lots of them. I am 81 and look 60. Vitamin C, 2 grams each meal should do it. Avoid all processed sugars and junk foods, very toxic, linked to over 70 health problems.

Return to “General Discussion”