Serum levels...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Serum levels...

Post by Anonymoose »

Could low serum levels be the result of the body metabolizing the measured substance at a faster than normal rate?

Specifically, I am wondering about uric acid and MS. PwMS have low levels of serum uric acid. PwMS experiencing a relapse have even lower levels. It has been shown that uric acid prevents and alleviates symptoms of EAE. I wonder if PwMS produce normal levels of uric acid but test low because the uric acid is being used to mitigate MS damage.

Any blood test gurus out there? Jimmylegs??
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Serum levels...

Post by jimmylegs »

yea it seems to be a zinc dependent process. here's the relevant piece in my summary post (in the bloodwork section if you check the link)

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... tml#p15460
... the normal range for uric acid is 140-360 umol/L. MS patients average 194 umol/L. Healthy controls sit in the 290-300 umol/L range. Interestingly, uric acid levels are positively correlated with zinc levels. So if you are low in zinc you are likely to be low in uric acid too.
read more: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 1787800416
fyi some people boost uric acid levels using inosine. that is a band-aid solution imho, and doesn't address the broken urea cycle (or associated high ammonia levels), which depends on proper liver function. addressing the low zinc level seen in ms patients provides the liver with the tools it needs to deal with ammonia properly, and uric acid levels rise as a result. the info is in the research and i have bloodwork of my own that corroborates the scientific findings.

more at wiki (i added the low uric acid section years ago, the cu/fe info has been added since by others)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid#Low_uric_acid

my conclusion is, zinc is so ubiquitous that when levels drop, a lot of wheels have the potential to come off. ms patients are known to be lower in zinc than healthy controls, and when it's low even for an ms patient, it would be reasonable to imagine that they would feel worse. too bad the uric acid researchers didn't also measure zinc. it has to be pieced together from a few different sources.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Thanks Jimmy. You're the bomb!

Just to clarify, it is possible for things to measure low because they are being "consumed" at a faster than normal rate?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

np :) and yes certain pharmaceutical drug interactions, various nutrient and anti-nutrient interactions, food/drink choices and combinations, all these things have the potential to accelerate nutrient imbalances. then there are inherited genetic issues that can result in depletion or excess etc.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.