Ontario people - can you recommend an ms neurologist?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Ontario people - can you recommend an ms neurologist?

Postby ceeweed » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:14 am

I have just been diagnosed with MS by a general neurologist but would like a second opinion from an ms specialist ... can you recommend a neurologist in either Toronto or near Barrie/Huntsville/Bracebridge - wondering if anyone goes to Dr. Hohol or Dr. Ursell?????
ceeweed
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Ontario people - can you recommend an ms neurologist?

Postby HarryZ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 am

ceeweed wrote:I have just been diagnosed with MS by a general neurologist but would like a second opinion from an ms specialist ... can you recommend a neurologist in either Toronto or near Barrie/Huntsville/Bracebridge - wondering if anyone goes to Dr. Hohol or Dr. Ursell?????


I would try to get into the MS Clinic at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto. Supposedly it is much better than the one at St Mike's and has a total program to treat the disease.

Harry
User avatar
HarryZ
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: London, ON, Canada

Re: Ontario people - can you recommend an ms neurologist?

Postby DougL » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:57 am

Darn, wish i knew that before now. My wife is transferring to St Mike's starting March next year.

She is scheduled to see the top dog so I will report back once we meet him.
User avatar
DougL
Family Elder
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Ontario people - can you recommend an ms neurologist?

Postby ceeweed » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:35 am

which doctor are you going to at st. mike's??
ceeweed
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Ontario people - can you recommend an ms neurologist?

Postby DougL » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 am

i think it is:

Paul O'Connor, MD, M.Sc., FRCP (C)
Director, MS Clinic, MS Research
Co-Chair, Multiple Sclerosis Service Committee, Mobility Program.

( i will verify with my wife)

here's hoping for the best because her main complaint is mobility issues
User avatar
DougL
Family Elder
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Ontario people - can you recommend an ms neurologist?

Postby HarryZ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:19 pm

DougL wrote:i think it is:

Paul O'Connor, MD, M.Sc., FRCP (C)
Director, MS Clinic, MS Research
Co-Chair, Multiple Sclerosis Service Committee, Mobility Program.

( i will verify with my wife)

here's hoping for the best because her main complaint is mobility issues


Be careful with O'Connor...been told he is quick to put people on one of the drugs and then not see them for months afterwards. This was a number of years ago so I don't know if things have changed in the meantime.

Harry
User avatar
HarryZ
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: London, ON, Canada

Re: Ontario people - can you recommend an ms neurologist?

Postby DougL » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 am

HarryZ wrote:Be careful with O'Connor...been told he is quick to put people on one of the drugs and then not see them for months afterwards. This was a number of years ago so I don't know if things have changed in the meantime.

Harry
thanks for the head's up. the only drug we would consider is Ampyra (or whatever it is called) but even that is not much of a possibility yet. she really wants to see how he responds to CCSVI (which we assume will be negative). maybe get an updated MRI too but we aren't expecting that.

the only reason to even see him is to get the needed referral letter for physio. her last visit to a clinic she was looked over and told her only real issue now is walking and the best thing is physio.
User avatar
DougL
Family Elder
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 pm


Return to General Discussion

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service