UV-B therapy

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: UV-B therapy

Post by lyndacarol »

trisca – UV-B therapy (artificial sunlight) may work as antibiotics do on tuberculosis. If the culprit in MS is a low-grade infection with BCG, or even a weakened form of BCG that we have received through TB skin tests, the following information discussed earlier may be important: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... ml#p201582

Since I have been unable to reduce my insulin level with diet, I begin to think this BCG, or similar reason, may be prompting my pancreas to work overtime.

I think it would be a good idea to try a light with UV-B therapy. According to Dr. Mercola, UV-B (with careful length of exposure time) may even help a person to avoid melanoma.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... cause.aspx
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

totally biased opinion on nutrition and insulin:

Well, well, well: A climate of deficiency
http://www.nutritionalmagnesium.org/com ... ticle.html
"Why are we magnesium deficient? One reason is the dairy lobby and our high calcium intake—the two minerals need to be in balance. Another is that in the face of elevated insulin (estimated by many to be present over half of us), the kidneys waste magnesium.
Aside from the insulin connection and our love affair with fruit juices, convenience foods, low-fat muffins, Honey Nut Cheerios, beer and the like, there is a strong magnesium connection. The debate about whether magnesium deficiencies cause elevated insulin or vice versa is ongoing, but one thing is clear: both conditions are exceedingly common, and both need to be corrected if we're going to be thin and strong and well."

of course i fully agree with this clearly partial opinion :)

remind me if you have had a mag level done LC? that bit about the kidneys was news to me, interesting.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Jimmylegs – I have not had testing for the magnesium level. I take a magnesium supplement (400 mg) twice a day – mainly for muscle spasms, but the spasms continue.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

maybe it ties in with the renal magnesium wasting when insulin is high. can you get a test? b/c it's either your serum mag is being driven down, or it's up and the spasms have some other cause.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
trisca
Family Member

Post by trisca »

I bought the uv b light and I bought a SAD light. (All or nothing for me.) It arrives in 2 weeks. I will keep you posted.
cervocuit
Family Elder

Post by cervocuit »

Hi trisca,
at the time when my disease was mild, I have noticed huge improvements after holidays when I used to play beach soccer under very hot sun. Numbness in hands and legs totally vanished, as well as balance problems. And it came back 2 month after. I take vitamin D tablets regularly, and I once took huge amount (1 800 000 ui in 3 weeks) and it never had such effect. In winter 2009 i bought an mini uvb lamp made for the face, that i used to place near my stomach, my back or my legs while working on PC, but my skin turned to be dry and crackled locally. I stoped. I now just try to take as much sun as I can.
In Aberdeen, they seems to treat autoimmune deseases with phototherapy in big uvb boxes. But it's time-consuming.
http://news.stv.tv/north/111248-scienti ... sclerosis/
trisca
Family Member

Post by trisca »

Interesting. Did you think the lamp made any difference? The one I bought you're only supposed to use for 3 minutes (me anyway, I'm very pale) but it's full body.

I can't believe you felt better in hot sun, heat is my biggest foe. Humid heat anyway.
cervocuit
Family Elder

Post by cervocuit »

I don’t think the lamp made any difference but it was on a small surface and for a short period.

No, my symptoms are much worse under the heat like everybody. It’s Uthoff phenomenom, and you don’t have to worry about it because it’s temporary and disappear after cooling. I only notice improvements at the end of the holidays, if I struggle all along against the heat to have as much activity as I can, under the sun.
Slumby
Family Member

Post by Slumby »

It is interesting. This is all so interesting.
I'm thinking about getting a uvb reptile light.
My cat will appreciate the reptile light, too...they get hot...so I have 2 reasons to get one.
Laura

Secondary progressive
14mg aubagio
Edss = 8
Check out my blog!
Laura5myMSstories.blogspot.com
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

I used to feel better after using tanning booths.

PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
trisca
Family Member

Post by trisca »

I bought the light and have been using it for a few weeks. I definitely have more energy and have less symptoms. At the same time as I got the light I changed my diet. And I had 2 weeks of not lifting a finger. So who knows.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

LC - it's been a while, but: iima, what form of magnesium, what brand, and have you had potassium tested? also curious re your d3 and calcium doses, forms, and timing wrt magnesium..?
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

JL – I take Solaray brand of magnesium glycinate (400 mg twice per day). I have not had potassium tested. I take 2000 IU of vitamin D3 (one gelcap in the a.m.). I no longer take a calcium supplement (since my kidney stone); I have an ounce (or so) of cheese each day, I eat lots of vegetables with calcium (broccoli, etc.) and I think my consumption of food with calcium is adequate.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yea i can't take supplemental calcium either. ack, glad it didn't take a kidney stone in my case :( ouch!

can i take it that you take one solaray mag cap with the d3 in the am, and the second mag cap some time later in the day? i'm so curious what your serum level would be. if it's still low in spite of your supplementing. vs looking for some other cause of persistent twitching.

but since i already mentioned potassium.. i can't imagine your level would be low if you're eating high volumes of fruit and veg, but low K could be linked to any persistent muscle twitching if mag is in fact optimal... we need 3500-4200mg of potassium daily, depending what food guide you read.. if that helps you evaluate intake at all!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

JL – yes, I take one Solaray magnesium capsule with the vitamin D3 in the a.m. I take the second at supper time. I do not know my serum magnesium level, as I have not had it tested.

I eat lots of fruits and vegetables; in addition to frequent kale, frequent banana, daily avocado, and more, I take MK-7 (vitamin K2, that is, menaquinone), 90 µg twice a day. Nevertheless, I am plagued with muscle spasms in the evenings of most days.