neuropathic pain

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Vitamin D3 units

Post by NHE »

Hi JL,
jimmylegs wrote:in those units, you want to aim for 40 ng/mL to be at least risk of MS.
Here's some more info that may be helpful for folks. The conversion factor for vitamin D3 units in ng/mL to nmol/L is roughly 2.6 so 125-150 nmol/L = 48-58 ng/mL.

NHE
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey NHE! :D

actually i think 2.6 is for the 1,25 metabolite.

for 25(OH)D3 it's 2.496 according to the site i tend to use,
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scale ... _data.html
so 40 works out to the 100 cut-off.

and yes, higher than 40 if you're going for 125-150 nmol/L

the upper cutoff of 250 nmol/L works out to 100 ng/mL

hope that helps, bill!

jimmylegs
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Vitamin D3 units

Post by NHE »

jimmylegs wrote:hey NHE! :D

actually i think 2.6 is for the 1,25 metabolite.

for 25(OH)D3 it's 2.496 according to the site i tend to use,
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scale ... _data.html
so 40 works out to the 100 cut-off.
Thanks for checking on that. The web page you referenced was also incorrect. The 1,25 should be 2.400. The following figure is from a vitamin D review published in the American Journal of Physiology. I have added the molecular weights as well as the conversion factors.

NHE

Dusso, A.S., et al. Vitamin D. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:8-28, 2005.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15951480

Last edited by NHE on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

cool! at least there's agreement on the 2.496 then :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Filmmaker
Family Elder

Post by Filmmaker »

Hey
Just found something that might help your wife:
http://www.ei-resource.org/expert-colum ... thic-pain/
Inositol and B1 are what helps me the most...But I would definitely get checked for lyme disease with an LLMD, bartonella and borreliosis can definitely cause nerve pain and mimic MS...
Dmkdaphne

Re: neuropathic pain

Post by Dmkdaphne »

This is completely interesting. I have has "sciatic pain" for a year now. I've been on lyrica and Celebrex since February of this year. Had an MRI of spine with same result as many stating negative for structural abnormalities. So it is thought to be soft tissue causing the pain. Before my appt with the pain clinic, my doc thought I should have an MRI of head to rule out lesions pushing on pain centres in the brain. Result came back that I have significant changes to the white matter either from recurrent migraines or early MS. Doc told me not to panic!
The pain I have is exactly like your wife's pain. I have burning down the back of the right leg from my butt, down the thigh, calf and even into my ankle, heel and middle toes. I am having spasms of my piriformus as well as the calf now as this has progressed from just sciatic pain. In the last week the pain also now radiates from my butt up my back into my shoulder and up my neck. I was put on tramadol which makes me a zombie. I also have the shakes but it could be related to the tramadol said the doc. Now that I see that many of you have the same issues I'm starting to actually wonder if indeed it is MS and not "just" sciatic pain. The doc wants to do a followup MRI to see if there are further changes. Should I insist in further testing now or wait until Dec?
I am actually attending my first pain clinic consult today so hopefully will get relief so I can get off the zombie drugs. Any assistance from this that have gone or are going through the same thing is welcome and appreciated!
Thanks
Daphne
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

My wife has had nerve pain down her right leg, especially when sitting or lying still for long periods. The one thing that has really helped is taking a few drops of CBD oil 2x a day. Since starting on her CBD regimen 4 months ago her leg pain is about 80% gone. CBD oil is a legal non-narcotic extract of hemp. It can easily be purchased online, but it's pretty pricey.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

I don't typically begin to panic until an MD tells me not to panic! 8O

PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16