moving with support animals

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
mmpetunia
Family Elder

moving with support animals

Post by mmpetunia »

hi,

is there anyone here that has a support animal? i have one, shes pretty much the greatest thing ever but we just applied for a new apartment that was not pet friendly (our current one is also not pet friendly but we moved in first and then got her, landlord was ok with this). if you have a support animal and you have been through moving into a new place with your support animal, how did you go about it? we went to the open house last night and filled out the application but did not mention our dog. i was thinking that at the lease signing (if it even gets that far) would be a good time to notify the landlord of the support animal, but i'm just not sure. there are no guidelines ANYWHERE for this that i can find.

i would love to hear other's experiences with thier support animals.

thanks.
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
DougL
Family Elder

Re: moving with support animals

Post by DougL »

a support animal is not a pet and should not be included in the NO PET policy. any landlord that enforces it, launch a complaint with local authorities.
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Post by mmpetunia »

Doug,

i know that i have a right, but what is the best way to go about invoking that right without creating a bad living situation for myself? i was hoping there were others here who had gone through the same experience and had some words of wisdom as far as what worked well for them. it seems like to me that timing and disclosure would be two key points. i was told in the past that i don't have to disclose at all, only provide documentation if its requested.

i doubt anyone would appreciate feeling tricked, so want to be fair and upfront towards the landlord too. i didn't mention the dog on the application or at the open house (application did not ask about pets or support animals) but at some point i want to disclose, so when? at the lease signing? at move in? i want to be sure that i am doing everything within the laws as well to protect myself and my dog. ya know?
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
CaliReader
Family Elder

Post by CaliReader »

Hi MMPetunia,

I would start by talking with these people, since they are a non profit. If that doesn't help, any good landlord tenant lawyer could also advise.

http://theproboneohprogram.webs.com/aboutus.htm

Best of luck and I'd love to hear how it works out.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

You could look into what the Americans with Disabilities Act says about service animals.

NHE

Return to “General Discussion”