question about my symptoms

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ua08
Getting to Know You...

question about my symptoms

Post by ua08 »

First of all, let me start by saying I've had bloodwork done for Lyme, B12, rheumatoid, rheumatoid factor, copper, liver and kidney functions, diabetes, --- all of it is normal.

Also, I've had two separate MRI's. One last March. My MRI came back with "some abnormalities", and some lesions -- couldn't hear if it was one or two, but lesion(s). The radiologist stated that it "is not convincing of MS." Then, the neurologist said over the phone that there wasn't anything on the MRIs. Had them done on spine and brain both with and without contrast. Then I had one done last week because my symptoms remain, some have gone away and not come back, some get stay and have gotten worse during certain periods during a year. The new MRI was on lumbar spine -- no abnormalities according to my doctor. Forwarded results to my neurologist, appt. in two weeks.

My symptoms? In 2010 I had a random sort of feeling of tons of pins and needles shocks that went down my spine/crawling up back of my head for a good bit. It happened for a few months and would come when I least expected it. Never really had any symptoms for a year -- at least that I noticed and said, "These are odd." Seemed to be exacerbated by heat. It has come back at random times in hot weather or hot showers.

Then I was out to eat this past October 2011 and was with a friend. Well, I got done eating and took a step and my both legs tingled from my knees down. They tingled with every step -- like a crawl + shock. I got home and noticed when I sat down they were still tingling. Since then they've tingled almost 24/7 to this day. It started mainly in my feet -- and it still is -- but I can now feel it in my calves and occasionally upwards to my knees and in my thighs. The constant tingle is in my lower legs from the calves down, though. The tingling reaches a point of "numbness" later in the day. I will lay down for bed and they will be tingling and I know they are touching each other but I can't feel it. However, I move then and can feel them fine once I do that. I also feel off and on burning and prickling in my extremities (namely the legs).

I've also had sharp pin pricks within the last year that appear out of nowhere and feel like someone is stabbing a hot pin into random places on my body. Sometimes where I tingle, it's happened in my groin and thigh area, and it's really weird and odd when it happens on my eye -- never can really tell if it's the actual eye or the muscles around the eye. Painful.

Also had a lot of muscle twitches in my legs as well, as well as muscle and leg weakness when they are tingling heavily. Also, the tingling seems worse at certain points in the day. I can't stand up for an extended period of time, especially when exerting myself, without feeling shaky in my lower legs and sometimes wobbly. I was recently cleaning my house and and starting washing dishes, and would feel the excessive burning/tingling in my lower legs, and then they felt wobbly weak and unstable.

Heat makes me tired at times, and when I'm heated or in the heat I feel the pricks of pins and needles all over -- almost in a crawling fashion.

Are any of these similar to any other MS dx'd syptoms you experience? My grandmother and my aunt on my mom's side both have/had MS.

I've heard about MS not having symmetrical neuropathy -- and that sounds like what my leg tingling is -- in the same places on the legs. BUT, I have had random spots of tingling, my right ear, random spots on my chest, etc.

Any input is apprecaited. thanks
audrina2k

Re: question about my symptoms

Post by audrina2k »

I could be going out on a limb here, but has your doctor discussed idiosyncratic neuropathy with you? Thats neruopathy that you're feeling.
ua08
Getting to Know You...

Post by ua08 »

No, he has not. Also, what is that exactly?
audrina2k

Post by audrina2k »

Before my symptoms became bad, it's what I wax dx'd with. After running the tests, MS was discovered. Unfortunately, when the MRI was conducted when I was 25, since nothing showed up they dropped the testing.
Neuropathy runs in my family, as well as auto-immune disorders. Unfortunately, instead of the psoriatic arthritis, like my sister has, or the diabetes, like my father has, I contracted MS. :sad: Anyway, I digress. A number of my relatives have neuropathy- with no known cause. You are showing symptoms. Ask for a nerve conduction test. At the very least, you can get medication for the tingling and baclofen (or something similar) for the spasms.
ua08
Getting to Know You...

Post by ua08 »

Gotcha, thanks! I've taken neurontin, albeit a small dosage compared to most I think, and it didn't help.

Just frustrating to me. I'm 23 and just want to know what's up.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

ua08 wrote:...
Then I was out to eat this past October 2011 and was with a friend. Well, I got done eating and took a step and my both legs tingled from my knees down. They tingled with every step -- like a crawl + shock. I got home and noticed when I sat down they were still tingling. Since then they've tingled almost 24/7 to this day. It started mainly in my feet -- and it still is -- but I can now feel it in my calves and occasionally upwards to my knees and in my thighs. The constant tingle is in my lower legs from the calves down, though. The tingling reaches a point of "numbness" later in the day. I will lay down for bed and they will be tingling and I know they are touching each other but I can't feel it. However, I move then and can feel them fine once I do that. I also feel off and on burning and prickling in my extremities (namely the legs)....

Also had a lot of muscle twitches in my legs as well, as well as muscle and leg weakness when they are tingling heavily. Also, the tingling seems worse at certain points in the day....

Any input is apprecaited. thanks
With the October 2011 episode, I wonder what you were eating. Do you recall if you ate a high-carb meal or had many sweet items? Do you have any food allergies?

With regard to the tingling being worse at certain times in the day, does it coincide with mealtimes?
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
taintedstar

Post by taintedstar »

The ongoing problem that led me to going to the doctor initially was numbness/tingling on the left side of my body, especially in my leg and foot. I'll have mild episodes of it off and on but it's absolutely maddening during an exacerbation. For me, this can sometimes be worse than the pain.

Neurontin (gabapentin) has helped to alleviate the frequency and severity of it though.