MS and kids website

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

MS and kids website

Post by bromley »

The latest webcast from the NMSS MS Awareness week.

This disease is vile at the best of times but the thought of kids getting it turns my stomach. If there was ever an incentive for the researchers to end this curse this is it.

http://skins.broadbandvideo.com/nmss2/2 ... script.pdf
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: MS and kids website

Post by HarryZ »

Ian,

The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto saw so many new cases of MS in children they opened a MS Clinic for kids about three years ago!! How very scary!

Harry
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Harry,

The following article discusses the theory of an MS trait which is triggered usually by a virus in adolescence.

I corresponded with Dr Chadhuri (who penned the Tysabri article) and he suggested that the way to prevent MS was an EBV vaccine. By coincidence, one of the UK newspapers on Tuesday (Evening Standard) discussed cancer vaccines and mentioned work on an EBV vaccine.

One could theorise that children today become exposed earlier to viruses such as EBV than a few decades ago (more living in cities, more travel / use packed public transport) which may account for the increase in MS in children (in addition to better diagnosis).

I have been invited to attend an EBV workshop being run by the UK MS Society in mid-May so it will be interesting to find out what research is being undertaken.

In the US research has shown that it is the children of parents who have moved from other countries who are seeing the greatest increas in a dx of MS. This might suggest that something protected them in the other countries (lack of exposure to certain viruses?)

http://www.msif.org/go.rm?id=13589

Ian

MS really is a very complex disease. But I think they are getting nearer to unravelling it (but on my bad days, I think its like Stevie Wonder being able to do a Rubik's cube)
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Ian,

I've read a number of articles by Dr. Chadhuri and think he is far closer to the cause of MS and its treatment than most. I also know that there are many MS docs who simply don't agree with him because he has gone against the conventional thinking on the disease.

Interesting to hear what you learn on the EBV workshop in May.

Harry