Suggestions?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Suggestions?

Postby pavuluri » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:53 am

My wife is 44 year old. She had symptoms of MS from 5 years but we were late in detecting that it's MS. We found out that it's MS in 2011 November. She has been using Avonex from 2011 November. In the beginning, She became better but then Symptoms became getting worse again... These days, She has double vision, Trouble with walking, Weakness and few other symptoms.... and they're getting worse. How is Avonex working for everyone? Should She continue using Avonex or switch to some other medicine? Any suggestions on what we should do?
pavuluri
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:50 am

Advertisement

Re: Suggestions?

Postby want2bike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:45 am

Drugs are not the answer. There is no majic pill. She should switch to the paleo diet and her symptoms will go away. As with Roger MacDougall it doesn't happen overnight. The body will heal itself when you give it the vitamins and minerals it needs and those ingredients are in the fruits and vegetables.

http://www.direct-ms.org/rogermcdougall.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJyQTTZr ... _embedded#!
want2bike
Family Elder
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Suggestions?

Postby Anonymoose » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:06 am

Hi pavuluri,

You might want to read this thread. general-discussion-f1/topic21861.html#p206105 I don't quite understand what is going on there yet, but perhaps acth is something that might help your wife.
Anonymoose
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:33 am

Re: Suggestions?

Postby andreagwolford » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:32 am

What has her neuro prescribed her other than avonex? Any diet plan or physical therapy?
andreagwolford
 

Re: Suggestions?

Postby plethora » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:03 am

Here is a chart I previously posted. Hopefully it helps you with your decision. Although, different medicines seem to work better for some regardless of the efficacy rates. Good luck! Sam

Image
plethora
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:34 am

Re: Suggestions?

Postby pavuluri » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:15 am

andreagwolford wrote:What has her neuro prescribed her other than avonex? Any diet plan or physical therapy?


Neuro suggested tysabri but we decided to wait for 6 months before moving to a drug that risk. Currently she isn't following any special diet or physical therapy. can you please suggest any diet?
pavuluri
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:50 am

Re: Suggestions?

Postby pavuluri » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:16 am

plethora wrote:Here is a chart I previously posted. Hopefully it helps you with your decision. Although, different medicines seem to work better for some regardless of the efficacy rates. Good luck! Sam

Image


That is great information. Thank you.
pavuluri
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:50 am

Re: Suggestions?

Postby tzootsi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:43 am

There are many MS related Diet websites - direct-ms, ms recovery diet, Dr. Terry Wahls, Swank Diet to name a few. In a nutshell eliminate dairy, gluten, most saturated fats and red meats, highly processed foods, high sugar. Eat lots of greens, seafood, nuts and berries.
User avatar
tzootsi
Family Elder
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Suggestions?

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:50 am

unpacking the nutshell

example: best bet diet

Eliminate
A.Foods that contain proteins which have the potential to cause autoimmune reactions. These are: 1.All dairy products (e.g. milk, cheese, yoghurt)
2.Foods containing gluten grains (e.g. wheat, rye or barley)
3.Legumes (e.g. beans, soy, peanuts. peas)

OR figure out why your system might be overreacting to foods and fix it. i had had no dairy products for YEARS before ms dx and i still got it. my system was just broken with or without dairy. what these recommendations do, uniformly, is allow your body to redirect zinc intake to immune function vs dairy, gluten and phytate digestion.

B.Any food that causes an allergic reaction as determined by a body reaction or a blood test. These foods can cause increased intestinal permeability (a leaky gut) and increased immune reactions.

OR figure out why your system might be overreacting to foods and fix it. there is a very strong correlation between leaky gut and zinc status. actually, zinc is critical to the integrity of all kinds of body membranes, not just the intestines.

C.Candy, soft drinks and foods with a high sugar content. These foods alter the gut flora which in turn can cause a leaky gut and problematic immune reactions.

this is one instruction i can get a little more on board with.. note the zinc connection with glucose handling.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ELIMINATE CATEGORY DOES NOT CONTAIN RED MEAT

Reduce
A.Foods that contain saturated fat. Eat red meat (lean cuts) only once a week.
B.The intake of omega 6 polyunsaturated fat which are found in margarine, salad oils and many baked goods. Use olive oil (monounsaturated fat) for fat supply
C.Non-gluten grains such as corn and oats. Use mainly rice for grain products and eat these in moderation.
D.Alcohol consumption. At best, drink wine in moderation and completely avoid beer.


these i can definitely see. but red meat once a week is far from eliminating it. good nutrition in there to balance out what is found in other meats. grass fed organic beef is my choice - or as close as i can get to that anyway :) local farm raised, not certified organic, and grass munchers augmented with standard feed. i'll take it over grocery store beef when i can!

Increase
A.Eat skinless chicken breast, game meat and fish for protein content. Fish such as salmon and mackerel also contain omega 3 polyunsaturated fat, which is very beneficial.
B.Eat lots of vegetables and fruits for carbohydrates and fiber.
C.Take a variety of supplements to bolster immune regulation, to increase anti-oxidant capacity and to avoid deficiencies. The recommended supplements are listed on the Supplement Page.


INCREASE GAME MEAT yay venison :) so very very red tasty and nutritious :D :D :D

totally agree re dumping processed foods. i consider them overseasoned junk food.

love greens and veggies, seafood, nuts, seeds, berries, all so yum!!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 9104
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Re: Suggestions?

Postby Lainie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Generally, none of the MS drugs are intended or able to stop MS symptoms. They stop the progression of the disease.

I was on Avonex but continued to get new lesions on MRIs. My neuro switched me to Tysabri, and no new lesions have happened since I started it. That doesn't mean I have no symptoms, however.
User avatar
Lainie
Family Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: WI

Re: Suggestions?

Postby pavuluri » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:26 am

tzootsi wrote:There are many MS related Diet websites - direct-ms, ms recovery diet, Dr. Terry Wahls, Swank Diet to name a few. In a nutshell eliminate dairy, gluten, most saturated fats and red meats, highly processed foods, high sugar. Eat lots of greens, seafood, nuts and berries.



jimmylegs wrote:unpacking the nutshell

example: best bet diet

Eliminate
A.Foods that contain proteins which have the potential to cause autoimmune reactions. These are: 1.All dairy products (e.g. milk, cheese, yoghurt)
2.Foods containing gluten grains (e.g. wheat, rye or barley)
3.Legumes (e.g. beans, soy, peanuts. peas)

OR figure out why your system might be overreacting to foods and fix it. i had had no dairy products for YEARS before ms dx and i still got it. my system was just broken with or without dairy. what these recommendations do, uniformly, is allow your body to redirect zinc intake to immune function vs dairy, gluten and phytate digestion.

B.Any food that causes an allergic reaction as determined by a body reaction or a blood test. These foods can cause increased intestinal permeability (a leaky gut) and increased immune reactions.

OR figure out why your system might be overreacting to foods and fix it. there is a very strong correlation between leaky gut and zinc status. actually, zinc is critical to the integrity of all kinds of body membranes, not just the intestines.

C.Candy, soft drinks and foods with a high sugar content. These foods alter the gut flora which in turn can cause a leaky gut and problematic immune reactions.

this is one instruction i can get a little more on board with.. note the zinc connection with glucose handling.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ELIMINATE CATEGORY DOES NOT CONTAIN RED MEAT

Reduce
A.Foods that contain saturated fat. Eat red meat (lean cuts) only once a week.
B.The intake of omega 6 polyunsaturated fat which are found in margarine, salad oils and many baked goods. Use olive oil (monounsaturated fat) for fat supply
C.Non-gluten grains such as corn and oats. Use mainly rice for grain products and eat these in moderation.
D.Alcohol consumption. At best, drink wine in moderation and completely avoid beer.


these i can definitely see. but red meat once a week is far from eliminating it. good nutrition in there to balance out what is found in other meats. grass fed organic beef is my choice - or as close as i can get to that anyway :) local farm raised, not certified organic, and grass munchers augmented with standard feed. i'll take it over grocery store beef when i can!

Increase
A.Eat skinless chicken breast, game meat and fish for protein content. Fish such as salmon and mackerel also contain omega 3 polyunsaturated fat, which is very beneficial.
B.Eat lots of vegetables and fruits for carbohydrates and fiber.
C.Take a variety of supplements to bolster immune regulation, to increase anti-oxidant capacity and to avoid deficiencies. The recommended supplements are listed on the Supplement Page.


INCREASE GAME MEAT yay venison :) so very very red tasty and nutritious :D :D :D

totally agree re dumping processed foods. i consider them overseasoned junk food.

love greens and veggies, seafood, nuts, seeds, berries, all so yum!!!


That was very helpful. We will start the diet right away. Thank you. :smile:
pavuluri
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:50 am

Re: Suggestions?

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:04 am

i was typing something earlier today related to this subject, ie in this thread, related to ensuring proper nutrient status to avoid food sensitivities, rather than avoid food sources of nutrients IN CASE of potential 'allergic' reaction, and in the other thread, related to zinc status and consumption of certain foods (highlighting dairy).

regimens-f22/topic2489-525.html#p207253
"....adding this to the pile on zinc depletion from imbalanced dairy intake (won't stop me enjoying cream in my coffee but it's good to know.. esp given the ice cream sundae bonanza i recently enjoyed to celebrate my bday.. extra zinc here i come!):
Binding of zinc to casein.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/35/5/981.short
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/35/5/981.full.pdf ..."

the take home message is don't baby a broken system, fix it. ideally, ensure basic zinc nutrition and measure status to be certain it is fixed. you don't need to totally eradicate gluten dairy phytates coffee sugar etc but these things do need to be properly managed so as to maintain optimal zinc balance.

dietary measures are okay as a day to day approach, but may take a very long time to redress longer term depletion situations. in such cases therapeutic supplementation may be of value.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 9104
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:00 pm


Return to General Discussion

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service