zjac020 wrote:Want2bike - where did you have the root canals? Did you have any pain in your teeth/jaw or anything else pointing to the root canals?
I ask because I am currently CIS for RRMS, have no mercury in my mouth (and have had since I was a kid, and even then not much), but at 33yrs old, ive had two root canals and crowns (using gold posts and porcelain crown) for the last ten years. They are in place of the front right incisor and one of the lower left incisors.
Im just wondering if I should go through the process of implants and the cost to get them changed, without really being able to diagnose/test how much of a problem they pose.
Pure metallic (elemental) gold is non-toxic and non-irritating when ingested and is sometimes used as a food decoration in the form of gold leaf. Metallic gold is also a component of the alcoholic drinks Goldschläger, Gold Strike, and Goldwasser. Metallic gold is approved as a food additive in the EU (E175 in the Codex Alimentarius). Although the gold ion is toxic, the acceptance of metallic gold as a food additive is due to its relative chemical inertness, and resistance to being corroded or transformed into soluble salts (gold compounds) by any known chemical process which would be encountered in the human body.
Soluble compounds (gold salts) such as gold chloride are toxic to the liver and kidneys. Common cyanide salts of gold such as potassium gold cyanide, used in gold electroplating, are toxic by virtue of both their cyanide and gold content. There are rare cases of lethal gold poisoning from potassium gold cyanide. Gold toxicity can be ameliorated with chelation therapy with an agent such as dimercaprol.
Gold metal was voted Allergen of the Year in 2001 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society. Gold contact allergies affect mostly women. Despite this, gold is a relatively non-potent contact allergen, in comparison with metals like nickel.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users