has anyone heard of this or tried it?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
blossom
Family Elder

has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Post by blossom »

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Post by NHE »

Hydrogen peroxide and ozone do not constitute "oxygen" therapy. They are oxidizing agents and produce free radicals which cause oxidative stress. The promotion of these agents as "therapeutic" comes around from time to time. Here is what I wrote several years ago on the topic. With everything I've learned in the time since, my position has yet to change and is further reinforced if anything. I would steer clear of hydrogen peroxide and ozone "therapy."

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... tml#p34914
ljelome
Family Elder

Post by ljelome »

If u want to have an oxygen therapy, why don't u use the hyperbaric chamber ? (if i'm not mistaken it is used for oxygenous therapy) or doing the breathing exercise (e.g. deep breathing, tai chi).

As i know, the both chemical agents is harmful for our body...but i'm not sure how they used it for the therapeutic agents, maybe they alter it to a pure oxygen?
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

thank you both. much appreciated.
miri
Family Elder

Post by miri »

I have fibromyalgia (not MS, even if some symptoms may mimic that & Lyme).

In the past, during seeking high & low for cures, I tried many IDIOTIC protocols recommended by "well-intentioned" people online (which has a way of spreading like wildfire, due to their various followings, because placebo works for so many people and because they're SO CONVINCING).

Among the radical stuff i've tried were:
colloidal silver ingestion - ugh!
epsom salt ingestion - OUCH!!! (definitely damaged me inside)
coffee enema's
DMSO applied to gums for tooth pain - UGH! and zero pain relief
food-grade hydrogen peroxide - caused me to GAG & tasted horrible.
...so i said "no way jose" & stashed the H2O2 bottle in the basement
...every so often adding drops of it to water to keep in squeeze bottle for toothbrushing
Salt/vitamin-C protocol (actually caused my front teeth to chip.
...must have done internal damage too.

There's so much more i tried, that I can't remember.
I'm weary of life by now (no soul left). Disillusioned by this world full of LIES.
Reachable via PM. Seems I have Higbee's HSII on ThisIsMS. Frustrated by MSers, FMers, Lymers & Prematurely-Aged-By-EMFers who prefer cryptic jargonian Systems Vs. Intuitive empirical experience. Don't simple truths count for anything anymore?
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

miri wrote:I have fibromyalgia (not MS, even if some symptoms may mimic that & Lyme).

In the past, during seeking high & low for cures, I tried many IDIOTIC protocols recommended by "well-intentioned" people online (which has a way of spreading like wildfire, due to their various followings, because placebo works for so many people and because they're SO CONVINCING).

coffee enema's
...every so often adding drops of it to water to keep in squeeze bottle for toothbrushing

I'm weary of life by now (no soul left). Disillusioned by this world full of LIES.
That is an amazing list of exotic treatments.

I think it's interesting how the history of medicine has some many unusual treatments over the years that develop incredible hype with amazing anecdotes.

I read a book a while ago called "why people believe weird things" by Michael Shermer, and he discusses the cognitive biases people have and what leads people to believe unusual ideas.

here is a video of him giving a ted talk on the subject:

It's very broad and isn't focused on medicine, but the conceps are similar
miri
Family Elder

Post by miri »

yeah, well skeptics are irrational too (I did like the part about the hubcap though ;)

It's the middle-ground that's least irrational.

Now the below might have offered a balanced view
Shermer with Art Bell (video no longer available):

Actually, placebo does work for many, as Dr.Becker (author of Body Electric) noted about a colleague with a kind bedside manner, whose patients would recover despite that the colleague wasn't all that knowledgeable. Whereas another of his colleagues, who was very smart, didn't have as good a recovery rate in patients, because his bedside manner was lacking.

I speculate that placebo effect works on the same people for whom homeopathy works.
In other words, their bodies aren't so blocked with toxins, thus more open pathway-linkage.
Reachable via PM. Seems I have Higbee's HSII on ThisIsMS. Frustrated by MSers, FMers, Lymers & Prematurely-Aged-By-EMFers who prefer cryptic jargonian Systems Vs. Intuitive empirical experience. Don't simple truths count for anything anymore?
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

miri wrote:yeah, well skeptics are irrational too (I did like the part about the hubcap though ;)

It's the middle-ground that's least irrational.

Now the below might have offered a balanced view
Shermer with Art Bell (video no longer available):

Actually, placebo does work for many
Of course placebos work.

A few years ago, my son hosted a party in his dorm room. He borrowed an empty bottle of grey goose vodka from another friend and filled it with bottom shelf vodka. He told me that people were raving about the quality of the vodka all night :lol:
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

centenarian100 wrote:A few years ago, my son hosted a party in his dorm room. He borrowed an empty bottle of grey goose vodka from another friend and filled it with bottom shelf vodka. He told me that people were raving about the quality of the vodka all night :lol:
This made me laugh! The next time I explain placebo to someone, I hope you don't mind if I use your son's story.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

centenarian100 wrote:
miri wrote:I have fibromyalgia (not MS, even if some symptoms may mimic that & Lyme).

coffee enema's

That is an amazing list of exotic treatments.

I think it's interesting how the history of medicine has some many unusual treatments over the years that develop incredible hype with amazing anecdotes.

I read a book a while ago called "why people believe weird things" by Michael Shermer, and he discusses the cognitive biases people have and what leads people to believe unusual ideas.

here is a video of him giving a ted talk on the subject:

It's very broad and isn't focused on medicine, but the conceps are similar
yes, there are weird things people buy into or whatever reason give it a shot. even this peroxide thing and many more. But, if mainstream med. had anything so great to offer most trying these different some call crazy would take them up on it. first, ins. would pay for it and a person wouldn't have to search high and low and hope they find something that's gonna address them and their cause and effect. mainstream seems to have forgotten how individual a human can be. they throw everybody into a bushel as with this thing they named ms. this way they get more bang for their buck. where as crazy as some things may seem to some - it might be someone else's answer. so, we seek.

i know when i watch those adds on tv for "approved drugs" and they rattle off the possible side effects some even include death it sends a chill down my spine. all the billions spent you'd think they could come up with a little something better to offer a person. i haven't heard "cure" on any of them. but they know people are desparate for some relief and they see people danceing around and they go for it. guaranteing sale of future drugs for the side effects.

not saying some alternative approaches haven't caused some harm for a few but i doubt most have.
miri
Family Elder

Post by miri »

There is actually one alternative therapy i've tried which WAS effective, but I doubt anyone here will believe me, cuz everyone is world weary by now.

Also, in any case, it's not available anymore;
...namely the Northern-most area of the Dead Sea (which are now a sink-hole "danger" zone.

(1) First I waded into the salt sea for awhile (outdoors under June sun)
(2) Next waded thigh deep into NATURAL (stinky/black) mudPool on adjacent shore, also sun-activated
(3) after approx. 15 min. (while inside the mud) I felt therapeutic PULL-PULLing

I felt SO good afterward, but due to bad luck, never got to go there again (constant bad luck & timing.
If anyone here lives near quicksand (the kind which SUCKS-SUCKS you down under) I suspect those might have a similar effect, if it's under a warm sun.

Subsequently, I tried bentonite clay baths at home hoping to reproduce the effect I felt at Dead Sea, but the clay baths proved to be extremely messy, and they were phony baloney. For example, Mountain Rose Bentonite and at least two others.

What also did NOT work:
(1) Dead Sea (without its natural mudpools), (2) neatly-packaged DeadSea-Mud (only the natural mudpools under sun worked), (3) nor did sulphur baths work.

Jiving with that, I also was acquainted with an elderly woman (recently deceased in her late 90's) whose legs were paralyzed in the early 1900's while she was in Poland. The doctor there advised her to go to Ciechocinek spa for therapy in its natural mudpools. She took a series of 20 salt-baths followed by mud-baths. (in sequence, i.e. saltbath, mudbath, saltbath, mudpath. She TOTALLY recuperated, and went on to live an extremely active life.