Can you anticipate a relapse?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jglanville

Can you anticipate a relapse?

Post by jglanville »

I'm planning a new study, and would appreciate your feedback. Can you ever "anticipate" relapse? If so, what are the warning signs, and how many hours/days ahead of the event can you feel like it might be coming on?

Your feedback would be really helpful for my study design. I'm trying to find biomarkers that would warn you of an impending relapse before you feel sick.

About me: I'm Jacob Glanville, a computational immunologist at Stanford and CSO of Distributed Bio. I've developed some novel techniques for using genomics technologies to monitor the immune system, and have applied it to identical twins that were discordant to multiple sclerosis previously:

J Glanville*, T Kuo*, HC von Büdingen* et al, “Naive antibody gene-segment frequencies are heritable and unaltered by chronic lymphocyte ablation”,Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2011

HV Büdingen, T Kuo, S Marina, C Belle, L Apeltein, J Glanville et al. “B cell exchange across the blood-brain barrier in multiple sclerosis.” The Journal of Clinical Investigation 122.12 (2012): 4533.
LR1234
Family Elder

Re: Can you anticipate a relapse?

Post by LR1234 »

Hi,
I know this is not exactly what you mean but I relapse twice a year and it happens when the weather changes (March/April and Oct/Nov in the UK) My body is pretty spot on every year.

I know when I relapse is coming in general as I get little clues, ie a bit more fatigue, eyes start bouncing about a bit more and I get problems sleeping at night plus mild tremors again.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I don't think I can anticipate a relapse in any manor that you may be thinking. However, I do know that a trigger for me is an infection (ie cold / flu). What normally happens for me is when I get a cold/flu, just as the infection is dying off (say about a week), a relapse will start, or already be in full swing.

Or are you asking if they are unpredictable (such as seasonal for LR1234), what is our first indicator we have started a relapse? Would the first physical indicators not be the actual first symptoms of the relapse?
pushingForward
Family Member

Post by pushingForward »

I can't anticipate it, but when it hits, you know it.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

jglanville wrote:I've developed some novel techniques for using genomics technologies to monitor the immune system, and have applied it to identical twins that were discordant to multiple sclerosis previously:
Just a stab in the dark, but maybe your work could find some cross-over with these guys who are looking specifically at viral entries in our DNA.
http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blog ... oject.html