New here with questions (and you will have heard it before)

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
daffodil47

New here with questions (and you will have heard it before)

Post by daffodil47 »

Hi everyone, I do not have any diagnosis, but here is my background. 18 months ago I was diagnosed via cystoscopy with Interstitial Cystitis. I was having major issues with urinary frequency and it turns out my bladder was inflammed and I was put on Elmiron and I am still on it. A few weeks after going on Elmiron, I started have bowel issues (frequency/diarrhea) and was refered to a gastroenterologist. All the tests were done (including the invasive ones) and they were all clear. I am still battling an IBS type disorder. Forward to about 8 weeks ago when I started getting a tremor in my left hand. I should add that I do have wrist and thumb pain which is suggestive of some sort of injury (I work with children). The tremor is so slight and happens if I am holding a book up to read or similar. Most of the tremor seems to be located in the little finger. I am 47 years old and have no other symptoms. The urinary symptoms came on about 3 years ago and I was only diagnosed 18 months ago with IC, but there is a definite physical cause for that. Does any of this sound familiar? I need to edit this to add that I take Topamax for menstrual migraine and have been on it for 3 years! I have had migraines since 2002.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: New here with questions (and you will have heard it befo

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome to ThisIsMS, daffodil47.

It is my opinion that your problems could be due to excess insulin.

In regard to the bladder inflammation (Interstitial Cystitis), diabetic drugs, such as Byetta, Januvia, etc., which stimulate increased insulin in order to control blood sugar, are now implicated in bladder cancer. I think this is because the excess insulin is GREATLY irritating to the bladder.

In regard to bowel issues, insulin is known to affect the smooth muscles. The muscles around intestines are smooth muscles. (Frequency/diarrhea?)

Excess insulin promotes insulin resistance in all cells, including the skeletal muscles. It seems to me this could account for the tremor in your left hand and even the pain in your wrist and thumb.

I suggest you see your GP or an endocrinologist and request a "fasting blood insulin test" – NOT to be confused with a glucose test. The optimal result of the insulin test is 3 UU/ML or lower; I suspect that yours is higher.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
miri
Family Elder

Post by miri »

Regarding bladder/bowel frequency, try this simple experiment
...(yeah, you probably won't, i know...

For say, 2 weeks only - scrap all "official advice" and dispense with tests & meds.

During that time:
Minimize computer/cellphone exposure to the minimum
Also minimize exposure to EMFs in general, and chemical odors.

During that time - eat LOTs of:
Cherry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Vanilla, Peach and/or Mango Yogurt.
Also drink lots of black cherry concentrate, and try Sambucol Original.
Eggs smeared with white-waxy organic honey or jam is also fine.
Yellow oils & yams & greens are also fine.

Alot of the latter are high in lysine and probiotics.

During that time - minimize Arginine foods (anything too acidic, or too Chalky, or too grainy, such as Harsh-Chocolate, OverlySalty stuff, sour candies, sour fruit, RawOnions hidden inside healthFoods, processed foods preserved with Citric and/or Sodium, grapes, nuts

Then see what develops.
Reachable via PM. Seems I have Higbee's HSII on ThisIsMS. Frustrated by MSers, FMers, Lymers & Prematurely-Aged-By-EMFers who prefer cryptic jargonian Systems Vs. Intuitive empirical experience. Don't simple truths count for anything anymore?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

miri wrote:During that time - minimize Arginine foods (anything too acidic...
I'm not sure why you think arginine is acidic. It has a strongly basic side chain with a pKa of 12.48.

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~cem252/sp97/ch24/ch24aa.html
miri
Family Elder

Post by miri »

NHE, note I stated "scrap official advice".

Trust me, i've been down the acid/alkaline route according to "official & scientific" views. And been down many other "scientific" routes uselessly. Some with reams of "proofs" attached.

What I meant by "acidic" is the "taste"
Alot of acidic tasting fruits are high in arginine.
So are raw onions (sulphuric acid of onions is even more acid on PH scale than Citric, and Citric is even more acid on PH scale than Acetic)

What i'm stating, is that for conditions of irritation, both acid AND chalky-textures exacerbate irritation.
For example:
unripe persimmons - are chalky textured (sorta like scouring powder)
ditto re: sour grapes
ditto re: sour apples
ditto re: dark chalkolate (chalky/harsh - not buffered with milklysine)

It's also why:
Tart green-teas are so dietetic.
...sour taste BURNS buffering cholesterol
...green-teas are "chalky" sorta like scouring powder

It's also why:
Pickles are so dietetic.
...pickles are sour, thus BURNS buffering cholesterol
...pickles have salt, which "scrubs" buffering cholesterol

It's up to the O.P. to experiment and see what works for him/her.
It's up to the O.P. if s/he wants to explore common sense, if official science hasn't worked for him/her.

I'll PM you for further clarification.
Reachable via PM. Seems I have Higbee's HSII on ThisIsMS. Frustrated by MSers, FMers, Lymers & Prematurely-Aged-By-EMFers who prefer cryptic jargonian Systems Vs. Intuitive empirical experience. Don't simple truths count for anything anymore?