Inosine… Again!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Inosine… Again!

Post by jimmylegs »

omg the more i look at that thing, the more the fascinating little nuances jump out at me.

i just noticed the gap in data for the mag and UA around march 2012. i was just thinking, weird no spike to match the zinc and the d3. and then i noticed the crosshatch was missing.. you hadn't had mag or UA tested at all at that time.

so interesting.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
brm
Family Member

Post by brm »

Yeah I left a few points out deliberately to see if you were paying attention :wink:

But seriously, it's like I said: I don't test everything every time, and this of course creates graphs in which you think: "I wonder wat that point would have been".

Anyway, thanks for all the input!

Cheers,
brm
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey no worries. it was fun to go over it and see all those interconnections. I didn't graph my own data in similar fashion b/c of the choice between breaking up the line where tests are missing, or showing straight lines where I know a spike should be. I don't have so many data points so mine got really meaningless visually, really fast.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
leonardo
Family Member

Post by leonardo »

hello , today I received my uric acid test results: 6.4mg/dl.
I know it's upper limit, I've never taken inosine.
I take lipoic acid, can it raise the ua level? I even took one tablet day before the test.
Is it safe for me to take inosine? Is it inosine that is beneficial in ms or uric acid?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya, yes that level certainly is up there.

the major reason people have used inosine in ms is to elevate uric acid. for you, that could be risky. curious if you have any zinc in your regimen? that definitely does raise serum uric acid. any dietary reasons why your UA could be that high?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid ... _uric_acid (dietary)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid ... _uric_acid (dietary zinc etc)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid ... _uric_acid (zinc, inosine etc)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid ... _sclerosis
leonardo
Family Member

Post by leonardo »

I take zinc from time to time (right now waiting for test results).

I am on regular diet but I try to avoid milk products, sweets and fat meats.
the day before test I ate 1 pound of bananas, maybe this raised level of UA.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, not sure re the bananas.. how's your intake of these foods? "Purines are found in high amounts in animal food products, such as liver and sardines.[53] A moderate amount of purine is also contained in beef, pork, poultry, fish and seafood, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, green peas, lentils, dried peas, beans, oatmeal, wheat bran and wheat germ.[54]"

with uric acid level like that i'd be very interested to see your zinc results when they do come in.
leonardo
Family Member

Post by leonardo »

zinc result: 13,5 umol/L
which I guess is not perfect
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hmm no it is not.. may I ask what your diet is like? might be possible to get some clues about your specific dynamic...
leonardo
Family Member

Post by leonardo »

as I wrote before no special diet. Simply trying to avoid fat meats (saturated fat), suggar, milk products. I eat much fish, I ate some sardines 3 or 4 days before UA test.

Supplements: ALA 300mg, ALC 750mg, d3 usually 5000UI but now on hold (getting it from sun). ocasionally 250mg Mg + 15mg zinc +B6

Ms symptoms from 2007 - No DX.

I've read that exercise increases UA. I do about 2 trainings per week, running 5km or riding a bike for 50km.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

the diet details are important, special or not... when you say much fish, how many ounces per day would you say you consume? maybe keep track of the type of seafood and serving size for a few days. any other diet details you can provide could be telling. I can't see anything on the supplement side that would be pushing up uric acid. if anything from research it looks like the ala and alc should be helping suppress the uric acid level.
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

I eat a LOT of the purine foods, I really wasnt aware of that and yet my uric acid levels arent that high at all (5.2 mg/dl in late march, 5.9 in November. ..and as jimmylegs knows that correlates with my zinc levels too). im starting to think some us with MS have issues keeping the levels high? starnge that my father takes meds for high uric acid and brother also has slightly elevated levels and needs to monitor them, clearly I have more of my mothers genes! lol
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

your levels are certainly high in comparison to your average ms patient!

i suspect you have enough zinc in your system to convert some amino acid byproducts to uric acid, and that the high intake of purine foods are having their impact as well.

given the family context, i'd definitely keep an eye on your UA levels as you work to optimize zinc status. you may find you need to reduce purine intake, in time.
jerrygallow
Family Elder

Post by jerrygallow »

I was a big proponent of inosine based on the studies. I would even notice that my vision would be sharper when I took it. There was some evidence I read that it could promote remyelination.

However, I started seeing little red grains in my pee. At one point this summer, a small stone caused some blockage for a few days to the point I could only empty my bladder half way. I assume that those symptoms were connected to the kidney stones that are common with inosine.

So I stopped, and it all went away. I have read that molybdenum raises UA. I also take 25mg of zinc daily since I don't eat red meat.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

interesting tidbit:
Zinc might influence a wide range of enzymatic reactions (Nowak and Szewczyk, 2002). In this regard, it may affect the activity of the enzyme adenosine deaminase, which catalyzes the deamination of adenosine (or 2''deoxyadenosine) yielding inosine (or 2'-deoxyinosine) and ammonia (Cooper et al., 1997).