Inosine… Again!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
xMatter
Getting to Know You...

Inosine… Again!

Post by xMatter »

In researching alternatives to mainstream-medicine’s approach to treating MS, I’ve come across many articles and scholarly papers denoting the relationship between serum (blood) uric acid levels and the incidence and severity of MS. The most telling anecdotal evidence suggesting a relationship is that in a review of 20,000,000 medical records, the diseases of gout and MS are virtually mutually exclusive: that is, if you have gout, you do not have MS; and if you have MS, you do not have gout. For those unaware, gout sufferers have very high uric acid levels while those with MS have quite low levels of uric acid.
Acting on this information, researchers have studied the effects of raising serum uric acids levels both in mice induced with EAE and in people with MS. From what I can glean from the articles and papers, they’ve had what I would consider nearly miraculous results, from prevention of the disease in mice to reducing gadolinium-enhanced brain lesions in human patients to the point of being no longer detectable.
Without getting into too much detail, oral administration of inosine (a precursor of uric acid) raised serum levels safely and effectively, and regularly produced the results mentioned previously. In studying inosine’s mechanism of action, it appears inosine, by raising uric acid levels, inhibits the damaging effects of peroxynitrite, a powerful oxidant. Interestingly, uric acid levels are also significantly increased individually by methylpredisolone and copaxone. (Note of interest: inosine is incredibly cheap, predisolone and copaxone are not.)
I have just started taking inosine (also used by athletes to improve performance) and am tempted to say I have noticed improvement in sensations in the tips of my fingers and less fatigue. I would like to know, has anybody else either researched inosine or incorporated it into their treatment protocol.

Let's not turn this thread into a debate like my last thread about Inosine.

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/UricAcidMS ... AcidMS.pdf
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Inosine… Again!

Post by jimmylegs »

i'm one of the exceptions to that interesting rule, have had ms and gout.

I used to try (and fail) to raise my uric acid level with food. I was on board to find and try some inosine but before I did, I realized the zinc - uric acid connection, updated Wikipedia accordingly, took the zinc, and got my uric acid levels nicely sorted out. so, inosine went by the wayside. or should I say, *supplemental* inosine went by the wayside. perhaps my own inosine production rose too, when the uric acid level corrected.

i'm pretty curious about the nutrient resources required for the endogenous synthesis if inosine, but it's not the easiest pathway to figure out:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... s_syn1.png
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

An study finding the opposite. Just when I thought I could start to increase consumption of beer and mussels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19341721
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

I remember that one, never bought it b/c my own levels tested spot on the 'ms average' for years..

Serum uric acid levels in multiple sclerosis patients correlate with activity of disease and blood–brain barrier dysfunction
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0EB.d01t03
Several findings suggest lower levels of serum uric acid in multiple sclerosis (MS) patients. The aim of this study is to investigate relationships of uric acid serum levels in relapse–remitting (RR) MS patients with clinical activity of disease and blood–brain barrier (BBB) condition. Sixty-three definite RRMS patients and 40 controls divided into two groups: 20 healthy donors and 20 patients with other inflammatory neurological diseases (OINDs) were analysed. By using a quantitative enzymatic assay according to the manufacture's protocol and a commercial uric acid standard solution, serum uric acid levels were measured and the results were standardized. To investigate BBB function, magnetic resonance imaging after administration of gadolinium was used. MS patients were found to have significantly lower serum uric acid levels (193.89 ± 49.05 μmol/l; mean value ±SD) in comparison with healthy donors (292.7 ± 58.65 μmol/l; P=0.000) and OIND patients (242.7 ± 46.66 μmol/l; P=0.001). We found that MS patients with relapse had significantly lower serum uric acid levels (161.49 ± 23.61 μmol/l) than MS patients with remission (234.39 ± 41.96 μmol/l; P=0.000) and more over, MS patients with BBB disruption had significantly lower serum uric acid levels (163.95 ± 26.07 μmol/l) than those with normal BBB (252.48 ± 25.94 μmol/l; P=0.000). Further, we also found that serum uric acid level independently correlated with disease activity, BBB disruption, and gender. These results indicate that lower uric acid levels in MS patients are associated with relapse and suggest that uric acid might be beneficial in the treatment of MS.

I actually tested bang on 194 TWICE .. low levels lasted right up until I finally spotted my zinc issue and fixed it.

my best ua level since fixing zinc is 278. at that time, zinc had risen to 16.1. my ua levels would be even closer to the healthy donors average, if I could get zinc closer to 18 or so.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jerrygallow
Family Elder

Post by jerrygallow »

how do you get your levels tested? I can't convince my doctors to run any tests, especially about experimental things like uric acid. But I do take inosine, zinc and molybdenum can also raise ua levels. I just have no idea what mine are
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

I eased into it over a lot of yrs and I think in part I just lucked out having the doc I have. I started by monitoring b12 long before dx b/c I was a vegan. that's pretty mainstream. then once I was diagnosed the first new test I wanted was vit d3, brought a bunch of research abstracts with me to justify. and it just built up from there. I don't have to justify any more she knows it's based on science and she knows I know what i'm doing. if I didn't have a doc who was open to this approach, I would have to go to the naturopath and that way would cost me. the family doc route means the requisition and lab costs are covered (as long as I don't test vit e or selenium, those are not covered by govt health insurance)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

maybe you could try out that research abstract above on your docs??
brm
Family Member

Post by brm »

Strange stuff: the abstract seems to suggest that I'm actually a rather healthy person.

I've been going through my blood results from the last few years (I tend to do a lot of them, say every two months or so), and often my uric acid levels were tested as well. I seem to be around 4.5mg/dL very often, was around 5.0 for a while with an exceptionally high 5.9 at one point. The lowest value I could find was 4.0.

If I use http://www.endmemo.com/medical/unitconv ... c_acid.php to convert values, my most recent value of 4.6 corresponds to 273.6 umol/L. So even though my MS gets active every few months or so, it would appear that I'm actually quite healthy with a nice BBB. Odd...

Cheers,
brm
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

4 of the patients in the Penn State inosine study developed kidney stones. Be sure to drink plenty of water if you're supplementing with inosine. I am too. I dropped from 2 grams per day to 500 mg on the basis of pain in my big toes bones (possibly induced gout).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

brm, you're much more organized than I, every 2 months is great!

so that lowest value, 4x59.48 basically gives you 240, which is well within the range for ms patients in remission (the remission range extends up past 275 in the study above). your 5.9 value (350) puts you towards the upper end of the healthy normal range. and the highest ms value in the study above was 278 (dammit, that's the highest number I've ever seen in a test!! :S ) for ms patients in remission with no bbb disruption.

what other things do you have tested? I am curious how your uric acid results may align with other values.

there are so many factors that contribute to ms.. it's an excellent approach to try to rule them out, and ensure they are not contributing to the overall picture.
brm
Family Member

Post by brm »

It varies a bit what I get tested each time: white blood cells, cholesterol, vit d, magnesium, copper, zinc, calcium, thyroid stuff, and probably many other things that I'm forgetting. Is there something in particular you have in mind?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

mostly the nutrients and uric acid. particularly zinc and uric acid. annd, copper and mag AND d3 too.. so yeah.. more or less all those nutrients :) hehe
plus some indication which pairs or groups of tests were done at the same time. but yes if you have easily accessible data on those 5 items, I am very curious :D
brm
Family Member

Post by brm »

jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

uh, YES, that is awesome! i think this is a hands-down winner for my favourite batch of nutrition data received to date. did you make this up or something? this is almost *too* much exactly like what i would expect to see.

ie when your zinc level was at its lowest, your UA was also at its lowest. and once you introduce zinc you start to see the response in the d3 values, there are matched peaks for zinc and d3 after you have the zinc in your system for a while.

anyway. if you can keep your zinc around 120 and your UA around 5, that's the best match for average healthy control status that i have been able to pin down in research.

i don't like seeing the copper line above the zinc line, it should always be the other way around.. if you can get that copper up to 110, that would also be a better match for average healthy control status.

re d3, you've found a pretty nice sweet spot there, towards the end. but consider the zinc line. you can see how zinc status influences d3 status over time. your zinc level needs to come back up, but you will have to reduce daily d3 intake to keep that level from bouncing up really high again.

re mag, great improvements. keep it up there!

you sneaker, hiding all this good stuff from me for years. you better not be yanking my chain lol
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

omg the more i look at that thing, the more the fascinating little nuances jump out at me.

i just noticed the gap in data for the mag and UA around march 2012. i was just thinking, weird no spike to match the zinc and the d3. and then i noticed the crosshatch was missing.. you hadn't had mag or UA tested at all at that time.

so interesting.