Protozoal Infection -- The Next Big Discovery?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Lainie
Family Member

Protozoal Infection -- The Next Big Discovery?

Post by Lainie »

"New findings of a previously unknown protozoa in patients with conditions such as lupus, chronic fatigue, multiple sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease, etc may prove to be a major medical breakthrough. While there are still some pieces of the puzzle to be proven, there are many pieces that fit so far. Treatment may prove very challenging, but lifestyle and diet has a surprisingly profound effect on the organism and patients."

http://www.iadvocatehealth.org/protozoa ... tion0.aspx
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Protozoal Infection -- The Next Big Discovery?

Post by CureOrBust »

They have called it "Protomyxoa". Searching in google scholar came up with NO hits. Searching in google came up with a hit or a Dr Marra

http://www.drsusanmarra.com/about-dr-marra
Dr. Marra is a Naturopathic physician who specializes in the successful treatment of tick-borne illness and has been an ILADS member since 2001. She has a Bachelor and Master's degree in Psychology and is a graduate of Bastyr University.
http://www.drsusanmarra.com/services/pr ... rheumatica
Her Phychology degree is from a university whose moto is "Leading innovations in natural health Education"
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

Well, when I read this interview (and it is long, you really have to devote some time to absorb all the facets of what he is saying) I was surprised and intrigued. His findings - that there is a biofilm in the blood of people with autoimmune diseases, the result of this protozoa - explains so much. It explains why the Swank low-fat diet works. It explains why CCSVI has such stunning results for some people with MS (but then a significant relapse rate). His ideas are so exciting; I hope he could get the funding to pursue this research.
grandsons4
Family Member

Post by grandsons4 »

CureOrBust: On Dr. Marra's SERVICES page, under "MS vs Lyme Disease" tab, she concludes by stating that "a diet rich in fats known as the “Swank Diet” has been reported to aid in slowing the progression of MS symptoms. This makes sense in light of the fact that if the disease in question is caused by the spirochetal bacteria, providing fatty acid nutrients which these bacteria require to live and replicate, may decrease symptoms and neural inflammation by keeping the bacteria well fed and “happy”." I assume that's not the correct name of the diet she refers to?
RyanYum
Family Member

Post by RyanYum »

couldn't it be that the protozoa are allowed to flourish due to a failing body and only manifest because of neuro deficit?
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

Swank diet is not "rich in fats." It is low-fat, less than 20 grams a day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Best look at Protozoal Infection in the Antibiotics forum then you can look him and his discovery up on PubMed.
Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Here is the link:
http://relative-risk.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -bugs.html
The man has been at it for years, it isn't the next big discovery at all, but still neither he or the mysterious 'bug' has appeared in PubMed.
Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

I'm not so worried about Dr. Fry being a quack - he's not selling me anything or costing me any time or money, so I'm willing to read about his ideas. As well, in this interview his suggestions about diet modification ring true (low fat, low sugar, etc), and he never says you have to buy his proprietary supplements or food to "cure" your MS.

The website you posted leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, however. Not because it attempts to expose an alleged quack, but because the author refers to a poster as a "Lyme nut."

Either way, there is interesting work about MS and bugs that IS being published, such as: "Is multiple sclerosis caused by a silent infection with malarial parasites?" - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11516219

I'm willing to learn about everything, since none of the drugs I've been prescribed are doing a damn thing to make me feel less sick or walk better.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Well, why not try what I did?
Sarah