Lunch suggestions?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Lunch suggestions?

Postby Luongo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:50 am

Not sure the best place to post it (feel free to move it, mods), but I'm looking for some good lunch suggestions that are along the healthy MS diet lines. I've been eating salads, but the lack of variety is just getting a bit bland. What do you guys eat for lunch?
Luongo
Family Member

Advertisement

Re: Lunch suggestions?

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:54 am

leftovers! actually i just had hummous with cucumber slices, and a peach. next time i get hungry i will have the leftovers, which consist of a half-cup brown and wild rice mix, a little butter chicken, a teensy bit of beef curry, aloo saag, and chana dahl.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Luongo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:16 pm

I actually love Indian food and that sounds delicious but maybe a bit too much for me to throw together everyday... I would love to hear more suggestions though, I wish there was a recipe/suggestion book for this.
Luongo
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:13 am

oh actually the indian food was mostly takeout from a local buffet. one $7 container of chicken/beef/saag/dahl made me quite a few lunches. all I did was cook the mix of brown and wild rice, had some with the curry for dinner, then portioned the rest out into lunch containers with a few spoonsful of the various curries on top.
last week for my lunches I had made a big batch of quinoa tabbouleh - which really holds up over a few days compared to lettuce salads - and ate that for a few days with a locally raised heritage pork sausage on the side.
I used up the last of the indian/rice lunches yesterday so today it's on to a portion of homemade chili which has been in the freezer. again with a peach - 'tis the season :)
then we're into the weekend. on sunday i'll be spending some time figuring out how to make my life easy lunch-wise next week. I have been making four breakfasts and lunches ahead of time, then scrounge for the fifth. (more due to container logistics than anything)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Luongo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 pm

My stomach is growling just reading that post. I need to expand my box (and unfortunately wallet) a little bit, I keep unfortunately steering back towards processed foods.
Luongo
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:34 pm

i have been cooking up steel cut oats by the dry cupful and portioning them out into containers with frozen mixed berries, flax seeds, and walnuts. on the day i'm going to use, i transfer into a bowl, add a little milk, nuke for a minute, add a little maple syrup, and go.

i am not sure what exactly to organize for next week's lunches yet. but will post once i firm up a plan :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:35 pm

one thing i sometimes enjoy for snack is 1/2 of trail mix made with cashews, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and chocolate chips..
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Luongo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:28 pm

The steel cut oats thing sounds interesting and simple... definitely going to add that one into the rotation. Thanks!
Luongo
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:34 pm

ah ha I was just getting ready to post about my culinary adventures of the day :) steel cut oats was in the mix for sure hehe. decided on spanakopita for lunches but it is not really a quick and easy one. shopped yesterday, cooked today, still needs finishing touches. too bad! i'm done for the day :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby tzootsi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Here are some more ideas:
Stuffed grape leaves ( you can get them at most supermarkets)
corn tortilla with leftover chicken, salsa, dairy free cheese
soups
guacamole and corn chips
tzootsi
Family Elder

Postby kushy28 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:13 am

Using all vegetables like carrot,Aloo,Beans,Grean peas cook a fried rice.It will be very nice if we add adequate briyani powder in the rice.
kushy28

Postby goatgirl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:19 am

Sardines. Straight out of the tin with flax seed crackers...or resting on a bed of spinach with fresh lemon squeezed over. Quick, easy.
goatgirl
Getting to Know You...

Return to General Discussion