Single Calcitriol Dose Beats Back EAE in Mice

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ribeye
Family Member

Re: Single Calcitriol Dose Beats Back EAE in Mice

Post by ribeye »

Any word on trials? I certainly am up for it. Apparently, I am not deficient in anything by the results of my bloodwork for tecfidera and more bloodwork for a recent bought of terrible food poisoning. It would be so cool to be free of this rotten disease. Good luck to all.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Squeakycat wrote:Still, calcitriol controls the local, adaptive immune response so there are reasons for thinking that directly providing calcitriol rather than vitamin D3 will have effect regardless of the underlying causes of MS in each person.
Very important to understand the difference between a test for Vit D that most if not all people will have done is not giving the information that answers the question what effect does Vit D have on MS.

Many studies are under way at the moment trialling various dosages of Vit D supplements in PwMS.
The probable outcome will read that Vit D has little or no effect, BUT, if the test had been for calcitriol levels and defining a level that is beneficial, then we would be on a steep learning curve. imo

The interpretation of the outcomes of the Vit D supplement trials are going to be interesting and possibly mis-leading or even deflecting future trials for calcitriol from happening and it's influence on the immune system in any degenerative disease will still be an unknown. imo

:)
Nigel
Squeakycat
Family Elder

Post by Squeakycat »

ribeye wrote:Any word on trials? I certainly am up for it. Apparently, I am not deficient in anything by the results of my bloodwork for tecfidera and more bloodwork for a recent bought of terrible food poisoning. It would be so cool to be free of this rotten disease. Good luck to all.
The structure of two basic trials, one looking at the required dose and the second looking at the safety of that dose, are being actively discussed by the research group.

Once the structure is settled, a budget will be put together and fund raising to support the trial will begin.

You can have adequate levels of vitamin D3 [25(OH)D3] but if that can't be converted to the bio-active form calcitriol, then you have a very localized "deficiency."