MS and Heat, Why?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Heat intolerance

Postby wbowen » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Heat didn't really bother me much until the last few months. I actually went to DisneyWorld during the fourth of July last year with near 100 degree heat and was no more miserable than everybody else. but now it totally drains me. I wasn't really experiencing muscle weakness last summer but now that I am it is horrible.

I have had spasticity and sensory problems mostly in the past and heat actually made me feel better....but now with the weakness it makes it much worse. I had frequently used the heated seats in my van...it made the tightness in my back better and relieved the "submerged in ice water" sensory problems I had. But now...with the heat directly on my spine within minutes my leg that is weak worsens dramatically.

So I guess I am an example of 2 thoughts above...the longer you have it and the more progression the more likely you are to be heat sensitive..and...the heat directly to the spine area is bad news.

Wendy
wbowen
Getting to Know You...

Postby Arron » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:42 pm

Wendy-- welcome to the site :)
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Postby mrhodes40 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:48 am

HI Wendy! Here's something I noticed about the heat issue just in casual conversation : People who use heating pads or electric blankets seem to have progressed more (Hey n=4.... :wink: this just an observation of friends) or simply are more progressed. Sometimes I can't sleep for the cold in my legs and feet and these folks talk about the same symptom. A heating pad for a little bit is a great relief. I'm fairly progressed myself at 5.5 or so EDSS.
Anyone else?
Marie
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Re: MS and Heat, Why?

Postby NHE » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:00 am

mrhodes40 wrote:Sometimes I can't sleep for the cold in my legs and feet and these folks talk about the same symptom. A heating pad for a little bit is a great relief.

I use a small microwaveable heating pack called a Bed Buddy for my neck when I get bad muscle cramps. These also work great for cold feet and you don't have to worry about any fire hazards or leaving them on too long since they're not plugged in. They only need to be microwaved for 1.5-2 minutes to get them hot depending on the power of your microwave.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby mrhodes40 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:04 pm

Great I'll get one. Thanks!
marie
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Bed Buddy

Postby lyndacarol » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:51 am

NHE--your book recommendations have been terrific! So, based on your recommendation, I got a Bed Buddy today. I had to do something about my icy feet and legs (from the knees down!) at bedtime! A safer solution than the heating pad. Thanks.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby OneEyeBlind » Mon May 01, 2006 7:20 am

Niko, Heat AND Humidity definitely effects me more too.
Karen (OneEyeBlind) :wink:

* I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
OneEyeBlind
Family Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion