Does Betaseron cause brain atrophy?? Yes or no??

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
chowder1
Family Member

Does Betaseron cause brain atrophy?? Yes or no??

Post by chowder1 »

Hi

me, again

While I was waiting on call from dr., I was looking around this site and found a thread that said Betaseron can cause brain atrophy. (I would provide a link, copy and paste, or whatever but sadly I am not computer savvy enough:(

Does it or doesn't it??...... I don't like to read too much scientific jargon, because it actually hurts my brain. (If that makes sense.)

It caught my interest because my last MRI showed shrinkage at the back portion of my brain. Neuro said that is what is causing my balance to be worse. I have only been on Betaseron for 5 months, so even if that is true, I doubt that is the cause of the shrinkage. But I am still curious about the answer. At lease my MS is stable! woot-woot

Anybody know??
Thanks
diane
cheerleader
Family Elder

Re: Does Betaseron cause brain atrophy?? Yes or no??

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Diane---

Looking at brain tissue loss, or gray matter atrophy, is quickly becoming the new way to measure MS disease progression.
Grey matter atrophy occurs in the earliest stages of MS, progresses faster than in healthy individuals, and shows significant correlations with MRI lesion load, cognitive function and measures of physical disability; indeed, brain atrophy is the best predictor of subsequent disability and can be readily measured using MRI.
That said, disease modifying medicines were created to limit white matter lesions and relapses, not stop loss of gray matter, or what is called "neurodegeneration." So now, researchers are looking and trying to figure out how these medications are affecting the whole brain, not just white matter. And there's lots of conflicting info.
Some researchers think the brain tissue loss on beta interferons is "pseudo atrophy"--or a false loss of tissue which is only temporary.
During the first months of treatment, many DMTs produce an apparent increase in atrophy rate (pseudoatrophy), probably due to a loss of intracellular water as a result of their anti-inflammatory activity.
http://www.smw.ch/content/smw-2013-13887/

The truth is, we really don't know how the drugs affect gray matter, because it is only now being studied.
So, what can you do to prevent gray matter loss?
There's actually a lot you can do with lifestyle, nutrition, and exercise to keep your gray matter.

Here's a list of ideas to consider, to keep your gray matter healthy. Hope it helps!

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
chowder1
Family Member

Post by chowder1 »

Thanks, cheerleader:)

I suspect my brain shrinkage is due to my not being very active from the chemo/cancer. I usually participate in water aerobics at the YMCA so I don't overheat, but couldn't go in the pool for a long time from chemo. Plus the chemo made me very sick so I stayed in bed a lot. But, I've been back now, and I start PT again next wee, too.

Thanks!!
diane
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Glad you can get back in the pool and to PT. Sorry you've been thru it with chemo and cancer, Diane.
Better days ahead.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours,
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com